Call for Access User Nominations: MCM Board of Directors
The Access User Nominating Committee for Montgomery Community Media is pleased to invite nominations for the one open Board position that is designated for an Access User. Montgomery Community Media is seeking qualified candidates who are interested and willing to serve a three-year term beginning July 1, 2016.
Montgomery Community Media’s mission is “to encourage and sponsor television programming and broadband media that meet community needs and offers forums for education and free expression.”
Nominees are being sought who can play a key role as an advocate and supporter of Montgomery Community Media, its Access Users, and Board of Directors in the community.
Position Description for Members of the Board of Directors:
To serve effectively on the Montgomery Community Media (MCM) Board of Directors, Directors must be in a position to:
- Serve the elected term of office.
- Attend scheduled meetings of the Board.
- Participate in a half-day orientation.
- Allocate 50-60 hours per year for Board and MCM activities.
- Serve on one of the standing committees of the Board.
- Actively promote the mission and goals of MCM.
- Bring personal expertise and knowledge to help fulfill the mission of MCM.
- Make a personal contribution at a level of making MCM one of your top philanthropic priorities.
- Utilize personal and professional contacts to gain support for MCM.
- Come prepared to Board meetings, and actively participate.
- Complete an annual communications-related “business activities and interests disclosure” form as required by Montgomery County Code.
- Be an advocate for Access Users.
MCM has a strong commitment to full diversity in representation (e.g., ethnicity, culture, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, geographic location, early career, retired and individuals who are employed less than full time).
All nominees will be required to complete a brief survey which will be used as position statements during the selection and voting process.
A few things you need to know.
If you are considering running for election to one of the three seats reserved for Access Users on the MCM Board of Directors, here are a few things you need to know:
- You must be at least 18 years of age, and an active certified Access User of the Corporation to run for and sit on the Board.
- Active, certified Access Users of the Corporation are those individuals who pay annual fees to use the Corporation’s production equipment and facilities including television studios and edit suites.
- You are ineligible to fill the Access User Board of Directors seat, if you are:
- a Nominating Committee member,
- a MCM employee,
- a Montgomery County Cable Communications Advisory Committee member,
- a holder of elected public office or someone who works under the exclusive control of a Montgomery County elected official, or
- a current or former MCM Board member who has served 6 consecutive years on the Board, and has not had a 3-year absence since last serving.
Hopefully, all of the above information has not discouraged you from seeking to become a member of the MCM Board. Having effective Board members is important to MCM. Your skills, abilities, and vision are vital to a vibrant MCM so let’s tell the electorate about those. Please visit the, I Am A Candidate page, and answer a few questions about those skills, abilities, and vision. Make sure you submit your name and information before 5 p.m. on March 22, 2016.
Interested candidates can submit their nomination online from March 11th – March 22.
Instructions for Submitting a Nomination
- Open the “I Am A Candidate” page and input your response to each question.
- A nomination form may not be submitted unless all questions are fully answered.
- Once a nomination form is fully completed, you may review it and then submit the nomination. Once submitted, the nomination form is final and cannot be edited.
After you complete the questions, the Nominating Committee will arrange to meet with you to further answer any questions you may have.
Outcome of the Nominating Process
Finalizing the decision on nominations is a lengthy process because of the significant due process requirements. Therefore, it is possible that you will not be notified of the outcome of your nomination until the end of March. The Nominating Committee will notify individuals that have been selected for the interview phase of the process by March 31.
Once the nomination process is complete the items listed in the questionnaire will be posted online as candidate voting information.
If you have any questions regarding the nominations process, please email Merlyn Reineke at firstname.lastname@example.org.