County Recognizes Small Businesses at 2nd Annual Awards (Photos)
More than 400 owners and representatives from local businesses gathered in one room at the Bethesda North Marriott on May 9 for the County’s second annual awards ceremony to recognize small businesses for their contributions to the community.
This year, the County recognized local small businesses in eleven categories, including a new category for non-profit of the year.
The following small businesses were awarded at the ceremony:
- Bioscience Company of the Year: Jeeva Informatics Solutions
- Hospitality Company of the Year: Comfort Inn Shady Grove
- Information Technology Company of the Year: Aquas, Inc.
- Start Up Business of the Year: KCRN Research
- Veteran-Owned Business of the Year: TISTA Science & Technology Cooperation
- Montgomery County Innovation Network Company of the Year: Cobb Systems Group
- Workforce Development Company of the Year: Ecobebo
- Non-profit of the Year: Girls on the Run of Montgomery County
- Small Business (1-10 Employees) of the Year: United Solutions
- Small Business (11-50 Employees) of the Year: TCS Associates
- Small Business (51-200) Employees of the Year: Valbin Corporation
Keynote speaker Karen Zuckerman, Chief Creative Director and President HZDG, a business she started out of her basement in the 1980’s, gave her tips for success to the crowd.
“You have to take risks and never be afraid,” Zuckerman said to the crowd of small business owners. “Taking an internship where you want to work is far more valuable than taking a job just to take a job.”
See photos from this year’s event below: