Elder Abuse Awareness
With the number of individuals over the age of 65 anticipated to double by 2050, it is important to have a deeper understanding of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation.
On this episode of Connecting Our Community #60, host Pat Shoemaker is joined by Bob Blancato, The National Coordinator of the Elder Justice Coalition. Bob Blancato is a renowned expert in the field of aging, with a focus on elder abuse and exploitation. He tirelessly seeks opportunities to bring these issues to the congressional attention and media forefront.
From 2000-2006, Bob served as President of the National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse. Bob is a former House of Representatives staff member and spent 17 years on the House Select Committee on Aging. He also served as Executive Director of the 1995 White House Conference on Aging (WHCOA) appointed by President Clinton. He was on the Policy Committee for the 2005 WHCOA appointed by Rep. Nancy Pelosi.
For more information about the Elder Justice Coalition you can visit their website, www.elderjusticecoalition.com
Awareness is the key so remember:
- If someone is in immediate danger you should call 911
- If you have non-emergency concerns, contact the Montgomery County Police Family Crimes/Elder Abuse Unit at 240.773.5400.
- For Adult Protective Services you can call 240.777.3000 – 24 hrs a day
- For someone in a Long Term Care Facility you can contact the Montgomery County Long-Term Care Ombudsman at 240.773.3369
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is June 15. The 2014 events will take place on June 11th at two different places.
1. Rockville Senior Center
10a.m. – Noon
1150 Carnation Drive
2. Holiday Park Senior Center
1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
3950 Ferrara Drive
Watch Connecting Our Community Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on ch. 21, The Montgomery Channel!