Family of Five Displaced After Fire; Home Lacked Smoke Alarms

An attic fire at a Montgomery Village townhouse displaced a family of five. | Twitter

A Montgomery Village family of five was displaced Friday morning after an attic fire caused about $25,000 worth of damage, fire officials said.

The townhouse did not have smoke alarms, said Pete Piringer, spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.

Fire officials were called to the townhouse in the morning to find light smoke in the attic area from a fire that had burned for some time, Piringer said.

Earlier, the family had found a fire in a ceiling fan and thought they extinguished it.

“To their dismay, the fire smoldered and burned into attic area,” Piringer said.

The family was able to get out of the house.

Firefighters came and extinguished the fire, also checking neighboring townhouses. Occupants in those units were evacuated temporarily, he said.

After describing the fire on a recorded message, Piringer encouraged residents to call 911 for any kind of fire.

“It’s not a bother,” he said.

Piringer said in an interview that the Red Cross was contacted.

Here’s how Piringer tweeted about the fire Friday morning:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Douglas Tallman

About Douglas Tallman

Reporter with 35 years experience throughout Maryland. Reach me at dtallman@mymcmedia.org or via Twitter at @MCM-Doug

Comments

| No comments yet.



Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter