Fire Chief Reports a Recent Increase in Number of Fires Sparked by Ashes (VIDEO)
Montgomery County firefighters responded to a number of kitchen fires on Thanksgiving Day in Montgomery County.
Fire Chief Scott Goldstein also reports a recent increase in the number of fires sparked by improperly discarded fireplace ashes.
Goldstein said it is important to discard ashes from a fireplace or wood stove in a metal can and not in a plastic container or paper bag. He said it is also important to store that metal can outside and away from the house.
Find out more in this MyMCMedia Extra video, below:
1 per hour…Since 1030a today MCFRS crews throughout MoCo have responded to >10 fires in kitchens, mostly involving stove/oven – Be Careful pic.twitter.com/KDuCsWScTH
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) November 25, 2016
Fire in the fireplace? Cool your Ashes! Ashes can retain enough heat to restart a fire days later. Never (EVER) discard ashes on your deck. pic.twitter.com/mZ1bk0w8RZ
— MontgomeryCo(MD)Fire (@mcfrs) November 23, 2016