Firefighters Called to Council Office Building (VIDEOS & PHOTOS)

A slipped belt on a rooftop air conditioning unit prompted a call for fire trucks at the Council Office Building in Rockville on Thursday.

David Dise, director of the Montgomery County Department of General Services, said the belt caused smoke, which got into the building’s ventilation system. The unit was replaced, Dise said. By about 4 p.m., he said, the building was back in service.

The building had been evacuated about 2 p.m., and an employee there said the stairwells had a smell like burning rubber.

“It wasn’t intense but you could definitely smell something,” he said.

Speaking about 10 minutes after the alarm sounded, he called it a “robust response.”

The building had been undergoing renovation, and the fourth-floor work was done or nearly so.

 

 

Here’s video from the scene:

  • PHOTO | Mike Springirth

  • PHOTO | Mike Springirth

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Douglas Tallman

About Douglas Tallman

Reporter with 35 years experience throughout Maryland. Reach me at dtallman@mymcmedia.org or via Twitter at @MCM-Doug

Comments

| No comments yet.



Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter