Firefighters Battle Dietle’s Blaze

Hank Dietle’s Tavern, a historic watering hole on Rockville Pike near the site of the former White Flint Mall, sustained a major fire early Wednesday morning.

The fire was blamed on discarded smoking materials left on the front porch, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer.

On his Twitter feed, Piringer said the fire caused $500,000 in damage — $400,000 to the building and $100,000 for its contents.

No one was injured.

A passer-by called 9-1-1, Piringer said.

For a time, firefighters blocked traffic on Rockville Pike.

The Gazette once reported that Dietle’s possessed liquor license No. 1.

Here are Piringer’s tweets about the fire:

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Douglas Tallman

About Douglas Tallman

Reporter with 35 years experience throughout Maryland. Reach me at dtallman@mymcmedia.org or via Twitter at @MCM-Doug

Comments

One Response to “Firefighters Battle Dietle’s Blaze”

  1. On February 18, 2018 at 9:13 pm responded with... #

    back when I was still in Maryland, late 70’s; Hank Dietles, was the place I would drink and wait for someone to come tell me I was fired for not showing up, Plus there were those times Id be asked to go out front and fight. I remember simply saying, you might kick my ass, I might kick yours, really don’t make a difference to me; we would just go back in and drink. Was a good place for a guy who liked to drink alone. One evening back in the 70’s, I drove up ,walked in an said a pick up out front was on fire. They rushed out, put out the fire then accused me. I’m like, What, I’m the one who told you about it, then the driver recalled seeing a cigarette ash flew back in, down to the news papers on the passenger floor. Peace was restored, faith continued on enjoying the fine cold tap




Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter