Five Things to Know Today, April 29, in Montgomery County
1. Don’t leave the house without an umbrella. Rain is in the forecast and the National Weather Service has issued a flash flood watch for Montgomery County today and tomorrow.
2. Champions for Children, including the Teacher of the Year, will be honored tonight at the BlackRock Center for the Arts.
3. During his weekly briefing, Montgomery County Council President Craig Rice emphasized that the county is committed to the safety of its children. County leaders are recommending funding for more school resource officers in the 2015 fiscal year budget and Rice said he wants to see the school bus camera stoparm program ramped up after learning that 272 citations were issued in the first three months of the program. He said some Council leaders are also recommending that the $125 fine for this offense be increased as well.
4. Hundreds of Montgomery County Public Schools students marched in downtown Rockville to raise awareness of the need to close the achievement gap. Watch their story here.
5. The Montgomery County Council meets today and one of the items on the agenda is a resolution to urge merchants with pharmacies to stop selling cigarettes in Montgomery County retail outlets.
For the latest news and events in Montgomery County, stay with MyMCMedia.