Five Things to Know Today, Aug. 23, in Montgomery County
Here are five things to know today, Aug. 23, in Montgomery County:
1. It’s the first day of school for students at Our Lady of Good Counsel high school in Olney.
2. Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) teachers also return to class today. When MCPS buses roll out next Monday to pick up students, there will be four times the number of school bus cameras deployed than last year.
3. The state of Maryland’s Department of Agriculture sprayed for mosquitoes in areas of Gaithersburg and Wheaton last night, and more follow-up by state inspectors is expected in the coming days. The first confirmed case of West Nile infection has been reported in Maryland.
4. Do you love yo-yos? A show about the history and science of one of the world’s oldest toys is planned today at 2 p.m. at the Germantown Library.
5. Art lovers take note: The Seven Palettes art exhibit is on display for a few more weeks, thru Sept. 5th, at the Kentlands Mansion gallery.