Five Things to Know Today, Feb. 29, in Montgomery County
Here are your five things to know today, Feb. 29, in Montgomery County:
1. The Walt Whitman High School community is grieving after a fatal collision near the school on Saturday night. A father, mother and their teenage son were killed in the crash at Pyle Road and River Road. Another passenger, a teenage daughter, was also injured in the collision. A candlelight vigil was held at the school last night, and extra counselors will be available to help students at the school today.
2. That fatal crash is one of the topics Council President Nancy Floreen is expected to discuss at her weekly briefing today in Rockville. In other Council news, Councilmember Tom Hucker is scheduled to discuss a state bill on family medical leave today in Silver Spring. The Council’s PHED Committee meets this afternoon, and on the agenda is the Wheaton Community Recreation Center and school capacity and transportation issues related to the proposed Westbard Sector Plan.
3. The League of Women Voters and the Montgomery County Council of PTAs is hosting a Candidates Forum for School Board tonight. A reception begins at 6:30 p.m. and the forum takes place at 7:30 p.m. at the Carver Education Center in Rockville.
4. The Rockville Mayor and Council meet tonight. On the agenda: the King Farm Homestead, the Southlawn Industrial Area Feasibility Study and more.
5. Gaithersburg leaders are holding their annual planning retreat tonight. The meeting takes place at the Senior Center and will not be televised.