Five Things to Know Today, Jan. 21, in Montgomery County
Here are your five things to know today, Jan. 21, in Montgomery County:
1. Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) students can sleep in today. That’s because MCPS officials have announced a two-hour delay because of weather conditions.
2. It was gridlock on the roadways last night because of icy conditions.
3. The National Weather Service has issued a Blizzard Watch for Friday and Saturday in Montgomery County. Montgomery County officials are also advising residents to prepare for significant snow, and they have posted some winter weather tips on the county’s website.
4. Montgomery County police are investigating the suspicious death of a man in Rockville overnight at the scene of a tent fire as a homicide.
5. The nine-member Montgomery County Council has written a letter to Maryland Governor Larry Hogan asking him to reinstate the full Watkins Mill Road Interchange in Gaithersburg.
Other news to note:
- Senator Ben Cardin headlines Small Business University’s networking event at MCM today. You can watch this event live streamed on the MyMCMedia.org website.
- Because of the weekend weather forecast, Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) has moved all its Friday night basketball games to tonight. So far, there’s been no official word on the status of public school on Friday. We do know that MCPS is closed on Monday for students because it’s a Professional Day.
- The Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless is preparing to house 200 men at its Rockville shelter this weekend, and the staff is requesting donations to help take care of our community’s most vulnerable residents.
- The NTSB has released a detailed report about the fatal plane crash that occurred in Gaithersburg in 2014.