Five Things to Know Today, Sept. 23, in Montgomery County
It’s Friday, and the second day of fall. Here are your five things to know today, Sept. 23, in Montgomery County:
1. Human Trafficking: A regional conference about preventing and prosecuting human trafficking takes place today at the Universities at Shady Grove.
2. Fatal Overdoses on the Rise: The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) reports that overdoses are up this year compared to last year, and state officials have issued a warning about fentanyl. County Cable Montgomery (CCM) has produced a video report about the heroin epidemic in Montgomery County.
3. Register to Vote: Voter registration drives are taking place today from 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the libraries in Burtonsville and Olney. Remember, the deadline to register to vote in the General Election is Oct. 18th.
4. Ride with Pride: The new state license plate, MD Proud, debuts on Monday.
5. A Great Gatsby Party: Christiana Drapkin and her quintet perform jazz music from the roaring 1920s at this celebration in honor of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s 120th birthday from 4 – 5:15 p.m. today at the Potomac Library. There will also be readings from the novel in between songs. Check out our Weekend Planner for more fun stuff happening this weekend.