Five Things to Know Today, Aug. 9, in Montgomery County
1. Local Olympians: Bethesda’s Katie Ledecky competes for her second Rio Olympic games gold medal tonight in the 200-meter freestyle. Dickerson native Ashley Nee qualified Monday for the semifinals in the women’s kayak slalom with a time of 105.06 seconds. Watch video of Nee’s second run, here.
2. Metro Safe Track Surge #7: Metro trains will continuously single track between the Shady Grove and Twinbrook stations on the Red Line from August 9 through August 18.
3. Road Closures on I-270 in Clarksburg: Overnight lane closures begin at 9 p.m. followed by the complete closure of I-270 for 15-minute periods in both directions from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 5 a.m.
4. Fall Recreation Programs: Registration for two popular day trip programs opens today. For details, see the program guide and register on Active Montgomery.
5. Kids Night in Rockville Town Square: Mad Science will present a show at 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. for youth. Kids eat free at select restaurants.