Gaithersburg High School Bricks On Sale
Those wishing to own a piece of Gaithersburg history are encouraged to purchase one of the bricks used in the original construction of Gaithersburg High School in 1951. The bricks were salvaged during the demolition of the old school.
The sale of the bricks is being coordinated by the city of Gaithersburg High School Student Union, a mentoring and service program operated by the city of Gaithersburg. Proceeds from the sale will benefit the Gaithersburg High School Education Foundation, the CHARACTER COUNTS! Scholarship Fund and other City youth programs. Only 300 bricks are available, and each brick will be accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. The cost is $20 each.
Part of the Montgomery County Public School system, the Gaithersburg School was founded in 1904, housing grades kindergarten through 12. The bricks that are being sold were part of the Gaithersburg High School building constructed in 1951, which offered education for those in grades 9 through 12.
It was constructed with Calvert bricks manufactured by the Cushwa Brick Company in Williamsport, Maryland. Calvert bricks were used in many historical buildings in Maryland, including the house at Lock #36 of the C&O Canal (near Harper’s Ferry), the Silver Spring train station and numerous buildings in Baltimore and Annapolis.
An order form is available online at www.gaithersburgmd.gov. The bricks are available for sale at the Activity Center at Bohrer Park, 506 S. Frederick Avenue next to Gaithersburg High School. No delivery will be available. For more information please contact Maura Dinwiddie at email@example.com or call 301.258.6350 x168.