Germantown Robbery Suspect Arrested (Photos)
Montgomery County detectives from the 5th/6th District Investigative Section have made an arrest in a series of thefts from vehicles and robberies in Germantown.
Police said Elwood Antoneo Martin (29) of an unconfirmed address, has been arrested and charged criminally with numerous offenses related to these thefts and robberies.
In January, detectives began to investigate robberies and thefts from vehicles in Germantown that they believed had been committed by the same suspect. Through the course of the investigation, police said Martin was developed as a suspect. According to police, Martin, who was on probation, wore a Parole and Probation GPS ankle bracelet. Police said detectives were able to use that GPS information to confirm that Martin was at the scene of one of the robberies.
On May 1, Martin was arrested in Germantown on the strength of a Montgomery County arrest warrant. Police said he confessed to three thefts and two robberies. On May 21, police said Martin was charged with additional crimes via a warrant that he was served while he was in jail. He has been charged with four counts of theft under $1000, three counts of theft $1000 to under $10000, two counts of armed robbery, one count of robbery, two counts of second-degree assault, one count of first-degree assault, and five counts of rogue and vagabond in connection with seven incidents. According to police, the seven incidents are as follows:
- January 2, 2013 – 20000 block of Appledowre Circle in Germantown – At approximately 8:00 p.m., Martin opened the unlocked vehicle and stole the victim’s purse. Theft Under $1000, Rogue and Vagabond
- January 9, 2013-20100 block of Locustdale Drive in Germantown– Between 5:40 a.m. and 6:20 a.m., electronics and cash were stolen from the victim’s vehicle. There were no signs of forced entry to the vehicle. Theft $1000 to under $10000, Rogue and Vagabond
- January 14, 2013- 11300 block of Halethorpe Terrace in Germantown– At approximately 8:32 p.m., the 50-year-old victim was opening her vehicle door in the residential parking lot. Martin reached into the driver’s side of the vehicle and removed a purse and jewelry from the victim. Martin implied that he had a weapon but it was not seen by the victim. He then fled on foot. Theft $1000 to under $10000, Armed Robbery, Second-degree Assault, Rogue and Vagabond
- January 28, 2013 – 20000 block of Appledowre Circle in Germantown – At approximately 9:05 p.m., the 46-year-old victim was exiting her vehicle in the parking lot when she was approached by Martin. He demanded money and threatened to hurt the victim with a weapon (no weapon was seen by the victim). When the victim stated she had no money, Martin punched the victim in the face. He then took property and fled on foot. The victim suffered a small laceration to her face. Theft under $1000, Armed Robbery, Second-degree Assault
- April 1, 2013 – 19500 block of Gunners Branch Road in Germantown – The victim was at her vehicle in the parking lot and was arranging items in her vehicle. Martin opened the vehicle passenger door and removed the victim’s purse and other property. Martin fled on foot. Theft Under $1000, Rogue and Vagabond
- April 11, 2013 – 18000 block of Cottage Garden Drive in Germantown – While at her apartment building mailbox, the 57-year-old victim was grabbed from behind. Martin then removed the victim’s purse from her person. At some point, the victim was thrown to the ground. During the struggle, the victim sustained a laceration above her eye, multiple bruises, and required stitches for an injury to her mouth. Theft under $1000, Robbery, First-degree assault
Search warrants have been executed on two residences and property from these robberies and thefts has been recovered. Martin is being held without bond pending trial.