UPDATED: House Fire in Derwood Causes $300,000 in Damages



UPDATED Dozens of Montgomery County firefighters responded to a two-story house fire, before sunrise, at 5905 Willow Knoll Drive in Derwood on Thursday morning.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Pete Piringer said the first firefighters to arrive at the scene encountered heavy flames coming from the first floor of the house.

He said a smoke alarm alerted the occupants in the house of the blaze and they were able to escape safely.

Damages are estimated at $300,000, Piringer said.

According to Piringer, the fire was sparked by misplaced fire ashes.

Piringer said one adult and two children were displaced as a result of the damage to the home.

Firefighters plan to return to the neighborhood to hand out safety tips, and to check smoke alarms to ensure they are working.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Sonya Burke

About Sonya Burke

Sonya Burke is the Multimedia Manager at Montgomery Community Media (MCM). You can email story ideas at sburke@mymcmedia.org or reach her on Twitter @SonyaNBurke.


| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter