Imagination Stage Presents The BFG (Photos & Video)
Imagination Stage presents The BFG (Big Friendly Giant), a play based on the book by Roald Dahl and adapted by David Wood. Co-directed by Imagination Stage’s Associate Artistic Director Kathryn Chase Bryer and Eric J. Van Wyk of Viterbo University, The BFG integrates puppetry, rich visuals, and imaginative storytelling as Sophie and the Big Friendly Giant go on a magical journey to save the children of England. The play runs now through August 10 on Saturdays and Sundays at 1:30 and 4:30 p.m., with occasional 11 a.m. performances. Appropriate for ages 5-10. Tickets start at $10 and may be purchased by calling 301.280.1660 or online at Imagination Stage.
The BFG is the world’s only friendly giant. He operates in the strictest of secrecy to bring good dreams to the human world, while his nasty counterparts steal and have the despicable habit of eating children. Upon meeting little orphan Sophie through her window, he whisks her away to his home in Giant Country. Together they embark on an adventure to Buckingham Palace to get help from the Queen and save the children from the other giants.
“After the success of last year’s Dahl rep (The Magic Finger and James and the Giant Peach), we are tremendously excited to bring another Roald Dahl classic to the stage,” says Associate Artistic Director Kathryn Chase Bryer. “The collaboration with Viterbo University has been a ‘larger than life’ adventure and we are thrilled to have another opportunity to work alongside Eric and his team!” Prior to making its Imagination Stage debut, The BFG played at Viterbo University’s Web Center for the Performing Arts this past February to sold out houses.
Photos by Margot Schulman courtesy Imagination Stage.
Enjoy this short video from Imagination Stage
Schedule of performances:
- Public performances on Saturdays and Sundays at 1:30 and 4 p.m., with occasional 11 a.m. performances (July 12, July 27, and August 2)
- Tuesday-Friday field trip performances
- Special Friday night performance on July 18 at 7 p.m.
- ASL-interpreted performance: July 13 at 4 p.m.
- Sensory-friendly performance: July 27 at 11 a.m.
- Friday night performance and dance party: May 16 at 7 p.m.
- A limited number of $10 tickets are available for each performance by calling the Box Office, courtesy of the Jim and Carol Trawick Foundation. These tickets go on sale Monday mornings at 10:00 a.m. for that week’s performances.
Kathryn Chase Bryer co-directs this production after most recently directing Lyle the Crocodile at Imagination Stage and Scapin at Constellation Theatre Company. She has directed more than 30 shows in the last 22 years at Imagination Stage. Eric J. Van Wyk will join Bryer not only as co-director but also as set, props, and projections designer. Eric was the set and puppet designer for Imagination Stage’s The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, and puppet designer for The Neverending Story. He is a recipient of a 2009 Jim Henson Foundation Seed Grant for his shadow puppet work O the Sky