In-Flight Video Promotes MoCo (Video)
The Montgomery County Department of Economic Development (DED) and the Conference & Visitors Bureau (CVB) have produced a three minute in-flight video to be shown aboard more than 1,700 U.S. Airways and American Airlines business first class national and international flights during the month of April 2013.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jde1XGteyF4
“The department’s marketing and communications team is always on the lookout for new and creative ways to market the many advantages Montgomery County offers those looking to start, grow or locate a business here,” said Steve Silverman, DED director. “Partnering with the CVB made sense from both a cost and production standpoint; by blending our business, education, tourism, entertainment and recreational offerings, this video has a much broader appeal that showcases the full complement of attributes the county offers and we believe they are the ones entrepreneurs and business executives are seeking.”
DED and CVB split the $29,500 investment for the In-Flight Media Associates (IMA) advertising buy, which includes:
• a 30-second boarding video to air on all main screen flights prior to departure to approximately 320,000 passengers;
• full page, four color joint CVB/DED ad in US Airways Magazine, with exposure to more than 3 million passengers;
• full month placement of DED-CVB 3-minute video on international and transcontinental American Airlines Business First Class on 767 and select 757 flights; @ 75,000 passengers, 57% male, median age 45 and average household income of $170,000-plus;
• social media outreach on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook managed on client’s behalf by IMA;
• script, voice over and video production creative services by IMA, including 10 hours of on-location filming services;
• DED-CVB retains rights to both completed videos for use in any future marketing initiatives.
The timing of the video also coincides with an increase in travel during the spring and summer months, including the National Cherry Blossom Festival. The CVB launched this video as an early celebration of National Travel and Tourism Week, held annually the first week of May.
“The CVB plans to use the video to promote Montgomery County at upcoming travel trade shows targeting the meetings and group leisure markets,” said Kelly Groff, Executive Director of the CVB. “Visitors and businesses choose Montgomery County as their base because of its strategic location and great quality of life. This video profiles all the wonderful assets that we have here in our county.”
DED secured the April 2013 slot for the video to coincide with attendees traveling from within the U.S. and around the globe to the 2013 BIO International Convention in Chicago April 22-25, 2013. The video will be shown at the department’s booth during the Convention and is already posted on the county’s YouTube site, with access via the department’s new Choose Montgomery website.
DED is also planning to air the video on the monitors at the Montgomery County Conference Center and will continue to pursue other avenues for additional exposure.
“We applaud this targeted marketing initiative by DED in conjunction with the CVB,” said Holly Sears, president, Montgomery Business Development Corporation (MBDC). “It is exactly the type of ‘out of the norm’ advertising the department should be doing to broaden the reach and vehicles used to promote Montgomery County as the destination of choice for businesses looking to expand and succeed.”
DED and the CVB will explore future joint advertising and marketing opportunities in FY14 and beyond as part of each organization’s ongoing efforts to strategically market Montgomery County as both a business and tourist destination.