Kensington Man Dies from Injuries Sustained in Kitchen Fire
It happened at 4:30 a.m. on Jan. 22 in the 3900 block of Decatur Avenue.
At the scene, firefighters found a 70-year-old man severely burned in the kitchen area of the home.
According to a fire official, preliminary information indicates the man was attempting to light a cigarette (possibly from the stovetop) when his clothing caught on fire.
Officials said medics began life support and the critically-injured man was transported to an area hospital where he later died.
Fire officials have identified the Kensington man as Thomas Dolan Geoghegan.
Investigators have ruled the blaze accidental. The medical examiner’s office will determine the official cause of death.
Officials said a smoke alarm alerted other occupants of the home to the fire. Damage is estimated at $300,000.
This is the third fire fatality of the month and year in Montgomery County.
Dispatched 430 am to 3900 blk of Decatur Ave. for report of kitchen fire. Adult male transported in critical condition to area hospital.
— Scott Graham (@MCFirePIO) January 22, 2014
UPDATED Montgomery County firefighters are investigating a fatal kitchen fire in Kensington. It happened at 4:30 a.m. on Jan. 22 in the 3900 block of Decatur Avenue. At the scene, firefighters found a 70-year-old man severely burned in the kitchen area of the home. According to a fire official, preliminary information indicates the man was […]
UPDATED Montgomery County firefighters are investigating an overnight fire in the 12200 block of Braxfield Court of Rockville that has killed a man and displaced residents. It happened at 12:30 a.m. on Jan. 16. According to fire officials, the first arriving units reported fire showing from a balcony at the complex and additional resources were […]
UPDATED A four-year-old boy was killed in a two-alarm fire at the Cider Mill apartment complex on Jan. 8 and several other residents were injured, according to Montgomery County fire officials. The blaze was reported shortly after 4 p.m. in the 18200 block of Lost Knife Circle in Montgomery Village. Firefighters used ground ladders to […]
UPDATED 9/26 Montgomery County fire and rescue crews are investigating a fatal fire that occurred on Sept. 25 at a retirement community in Silver Spring. It happened at 12:20 p.m. in the 15700 block of Interlachen Drive in Silver Spring. This is a residential high-rise building located at the Leisure World community. Units arrived on the […]
UPDATED These photos tell the story of a dramatic rescue scene at a Silver Spring apartment building, on April 2, where several residents had to be rescued from a top floor balcony by firefighters. Over 100 firefighters responded to the two-alarm blaze that was first reported shortly before 7 a.m. at the Montgomery Towers apartment […]