Bike to Work Day
Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett has proclaimed May 18 as Bike to Work Day in Montgomery County, joining jurisdictions nationwide in the annual celebration to encourage bicycle commuting. Bike commuting not only has exercise benefits, it also is an effective way to improve air quality, reduce traffic congestion and noise, and conserve energy. For most trips of less than five miles, commuting by bicycle may take about the same amount of time as traditional transportation options. For longer trips, riders can combine Ride On, which has bike racks on the front of all buses, for bicycle commuting.
“I encourage residents and employees to give bicycle commuting a try, and for those who are already using this alternative transportation, I commend you for your contributions to the health and welfare of our community,” said Leggett. “Through our bicycle and pedestrian safety programs, we are creating a safer environment for those looking for alternatives to using their cars. Bicycle commuting helps improve the quality of life of communities by enhancing air quality, reducing traffic congestion, conserving energy and reducing traffic noise.”
To celebrate Bike to Work Day, Montgomery County Commuter Services invites all residents and employees to visit one of the county’s 13 Pit Stop sites, which will be sponsoring events Friday morning. The pit stops are listed below:
• Downtown Silver Spring, Discovery Communications, One Discovery Place, Georgia and Wayne avenues, 6:30 to 9 a.m.
• White Oak, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) campus, FDA Historic Building #1 (in the circle), entrance off New Hampshire Avenue and Mahan Road, 10903 New Hampshire Avenue, 7 to 9 a.m.
• Downtown Bethesda, Reed Street (corner of Woodmont and Bethesda avenues near the Capital Crescent Trail), 6:30 to 8:30 a.m.
• North Bethesda, White Flint Mall, 11301 Rockville Pike, entrance in front of Bertucci’s Italian Restaurant, 6:30 to 8:30 a.m.
• Bethesda, National Institutes of Health in front of Building One, 1 Center Drive, main campus, 7 to 9:30 a.m.
• Bethesda, National Institutes of Health, 6116 Executive Boulevard, at the picnic tables to the left upon entering Executive Plaza, 8 to 9:30 a.m.
• Naval Support Activity Bethesda, South Gate near the Helipad, 8901 Rockville Pike, 6 to 9 a.m.
• Downtown Rockville, Rockville Town Center in front of Regal Theatre, 199 East Montgomery Avenue, 7 to 9 a.m.
• Rockville, Fallsgrove Transit Center, 521 Fallsgrove Drive, 7 to 9 a.m.
• Rock Springs Business Park, Marriott International Headquarters 10400 Fernwood Road, 6:30 to 9 a.m.
• Downtown Takoma Park /Old Takoma, Takoma Urban Park (Gazebo), 7035 Carroll Avenue, 6 to 9 a.m.
• Takoma Park, New Avenue at Sligo Creek Trail, Sligo Creek Trail and New Hampshire Avenue crossing (east side), 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
• Takoma / Langley Crossroads, Starbucks, 7690 New Hampshire Avenue, 7 to 9:30 a.m.
Pit Stop celebrations will include free refreshments and giveaways. Free raffle prizes include t-shirts and bicycles for those who pre-register at www.montgomerycountymd.gov/commute or by calling 240-773-2989.