Montgomery County Council Passes Landlord-Tenant Law (VIDEOS)
The Montgomery County Council passed Bill 19-15 early Tuesday, which revises the Landlord-Tenant Law aimed at improving the quality of rental housing through increased inspections.
The bill was sponsored by County Councilmember Marc Elrich and co-sponsored by Councilmember Nancy Navarro.
Bill 19-15, as introduced, would:
- Provide for annual inspection of certain residential rental properties
- Require the use of a standard form lease and applicable optional provisions for certain residential rental properties
- Require the publication of certain information related to rental housing
- Require the Department of Housing and Community Affairs to review certain rent increases
- Provide for certain remedies to be awarded by the Commission on Landlord-Tenant Affairs
- Provide certain rights to tenants facing rent increases; and (7) generally amend the law related to landlord-tenant relations.
— Nancy Navarro (@nancy_navarro) November 29, 2016