Montgomery Parks Offers Spring Classes
Montgomery Parks, part of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is offering a host of fun, affordable and convenient programs. Everything from ice skating, ice hockey, golf, tennis, and skateboarding to nature programs, hikes, gardening classes, camps, fishing and boating and tours of historic sites are avaiable in the county. There is something for everyone.
A complete list of programs, with details and information on how to register is available online here. A sampling of offerings includes:
- Children Programs: story times, nature explorer programs, “Make it and Take It” nature crafts, hands-on science classes and scavenger hunts
- Adult Programs: cooking demonstrations, garden walks, talks and demos, School of Botanical Art workshops, kayak trips, birding, nature hikes and excursions to wild life refuges in the region
- Skating, Tennis and Golf Lessons: for all ages and abilities
- Spring Break Camps: A variety of camps are available for students ages 5 – 13 during spring break (April 14-21) including archaeology camp, Hooray for the Bay – all about the Chesapeake Bay, ice skating camp, Tennis “boot days” (which are available by individual days or for the entire week), Spring Break Golf Camp at the Driving Range at South Germantown Recreational Park, and Spring Week in the Park featuring sports, skating and arts and crafts.
- Adventures for the Whole Family: including free guided tours of historic sites in the parks, family hikes and campfires, parent and tot skate and parent and tot hockey, parent and child golf and family fishing fun.
- Spring Festivals (*most are free): including the Wheaton Sports Pavilion Spring Open House, the Gas & Steam Engine Show, Montgomery Parks’ Historic Sites Opening Day Celebrations, Olney Manor Sk8Fest, Raptors Rule Festival, Save the Frogs Day, The Forest Friends Festival, Family Archaeology Day, Bluebirds Forever Festival
Spring is also the time when a number of Montgomery Parks’ facilities open for the season. The miniature trains at Cabin John and Wheaton and Regional Parks (and the carousel at Wheaton) will be open for Spring Break April 12 – 21 and April 26 and 27. They open full-time in May.
Lake Needwood and Black Hill Boats are open on the weekends for private boats and the boat house will open and rental boats will be available starting May 3. Olney Manor Skate Park opens March 29, Little Bennett Campground has weekend camping; full-time camping will be available all week long starting in April. The South Germantown Driving Range is open, and South Germantown Splash Playground and Mini-Golf will open May 24. Operating hours vary; check each facility’s website for schedules.
All spring programs, classes and camps, as well as details about dates and times for Montgomery Parks’ facilities are listed in the Spring 2014 Montgomery County Recreation and Park Program Guide. Print copies are available free of charge at select Montgomery Parks facilities, Montgomery County Recreation centers, government buildings and libraries while supplies last. Mail subscriptions for all five Guides are available for $5.