Fire_11-5-15_Wheaton

Fire Causes $500,000 in Damages at Nail Salon in Wheaton (PHOTO)

UPDATED  A fire at the Solar Nail Salon at 11204 Grandview Avenue in Wheaton has caused an estimated half a million dollars in damages, according to a Montgomery County fire and rescue spokesperson.

Fire and Rescue Services Spokesperson Pete Piringer said the cause of the fire was ruled accidental and believed to be related to a heating pot for hot wax. Piringer said firefighters believe the fire was smoldering for some time and caught some nearby combustibles on fire. The blaze was discovered at 10 a.m. on Thursday, according to Piringer. He said the fire caused extensive damage and climbed the walls to the ceiling. Firefighters encountered heavy smoke when they first arrived on scene, according to Piringer.

There were no injuries at the fire, Piringer said but the business is now closed.

ORIGINAL POST
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue are investigating a building fire in Wheaton.

MCFRS Spokesperson Pete Piringer said the fire occurred in a nail salon on 11204 Grandview Avenue.  The fire was in the ceiling and roof of the building, which was evacuated with no injuries.

Firefighters checked the extension in floors, walls, ceiling, and exposures in the nail salon and extension in adjacent buildings.

 

 

Maureen Chowdhury

About Maureen Chowdhury

Maureen Chowdhury is a multimedia journalist with Montgomery Community Media. She can be reached at mchowdhury@mymcmedia.org and on Twitter at @MediaMaureen. Maureen authors the blog Sound Check on MyMCMedia.

Comments

| No comments yet.



Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter