Pepco Helps Customers Plan for High Winter Bills
Pepco wants to remind customers who are having trouble keeping their accounts current through these cold weather stretches and higher usage periods that resources are available to them.
“We have a wide range of payment options that we offer customers and also offer to work individually with any customer on ways they can better manage their electric bills,” said Donna Cooper, president, Pepco Region. “We want them to know they can always call us for help.”
Standard bill payment options Pepco offers include:
- Special Payment Arrangements: For our customers who may be experiencing difficulties keeping their accounts current, Pepco offers a variety of individually tailored payment arrangements aimed at bringing their account up-to-date over a mutually agreeable period of time. Many of these arrangements can be made directly over the phone by calling (202) 833-7500 and following the simple instructions or by speaking with a customer service representative. Either way, Pepco will be more than glad to provide help through difficult periods.
- Budget Billing: Customers can avoid seasonal peaks in electric bills by dividing their payments evenly over the course of the entire year. This plan makes it easier to budget and pay electric bills each month, because customers know their regular payment amount. To sign up for budget billing, customers can register either by calling customer service at 202.833.7500 or online through My Account, a secure self-service option that will allow customers to:
- View and pay their bills
- Sign up for eBill (paperless billing)
- Get e-mail notification when bills are ready
- Take advantage of features that can help save energy
Once customers register for My Account, they just need to log in and click on the “Budget Billing” button.
- Extended Payment Date Plan: This allows residential customers whose main source of total household income is from government or other low-income entitlement programs to request a regular extension of their bill due dates without incurring a late charge so their bill due dates align with the dates they get their checks. To apply, call Pepco at 202.833.7500 or submit the enrollment form online at pepco.com.
- Energy Assistance Programs: Some federal energy assistance may be available through state and local assistance programs. Customers can get more information on those programs by calling Pepco at 202.833.7500.
Pepco also has conservation programs and tips for customers to reduce energy consumption, which will mean lower monthly bills. Smart meters can help customers save energy and money and help lower their bills during these high usage periods. The new technology allows customers to login to Pepco’s My Account web portal and monitor their electricity usage down to hourly increments.
“We also want to help customers take control of their energy usage,” Cooper said. “Saving energy will also save them money.”