Preventing Package Theft this Holiday Season
As people shop and purchase gifts online and have them delivered to their home during the holiday season, the Montgomery County Police Department reminds residents of ways to ensure their packages are delivered to them safely:
Choose A Delivery Address Wisely
- Choose to Have Package Delivered to An Attended Location
- When you order something online, consider sending the package to a place where you know someone will be available to receive it – your workplace or a friend or neighbor’s home.
- Choose to Have Package Delivered to Carrier Location
- Have your deliveries sent to the nearest shipping company center. Many shipping carriers will hold the package for up to five days.
- Choose In-Store Pick Up
- Many retailers provide the option of purchasing an item online and picking it up at the nearest retail location.
Know When Your Package Will Be Delivered – Sign Up For Notification Services
- Many shipment companies offer services to help you track your deliveries by receiving text messages or an e-mail. You can then plan on being home at the time of delivery or ask a trusted friend or neighbor to stop by the delivery location and retrieve the package.
- After receiving a notification alert and you determine that you won’t be home, many carriers allow you to re-route your shipment to another location or to the carrier’s facility for later pick-up.
Require A Signature
- Many shipping companies offer a service that requires a signature for a package to be released.
Provide Delivery Instructions
- Many carriers allow residents to provide instructions on where the deliveries should be placed at the home (side porch, garage door, etc.)
Insure Your Package
- Consider insuring your package. Contact your chosen mail carrier for coverage policies and requirements.