Safe Track Surge #7 Begins on Tuesday Between Shady Grove and Twinbrook Stations
Red Line commuters take note: Metro trains will continuously single track between Shady Grove and Twinbrook from August 9 through August 18 as part of Safety Track Surge #7.
WMATA officials are advising Red Line commuters to find other transportation options as trains are expected to be crowded, especially during rush hour due to service reductions.
Here’s what you should know this week:
- Trains will serve Shady Grove and Rockville stations every 18 minutes.
- All other Red Line stations will have near-normal service with additional trains operating between Twinbrook and Glenmont and between Grosvenor and Silver Spring during AM/PM rush.
- During the midday/evening trains will run between Shady Grove and Silver Spring every 18 minutes; and between Grosvenor and Glenmont every 12 minutes.
- After 10 p.m. trains will run between Shady Grove and Glenmont every 20 minutes.
- Customers are encouraged to avoid Shady Grove and Rockville if possible; use Twinbrook, White Flint or Grosvenor instead.
- Weekend train frequencies may change to coordinate with other planned track work on the Metrorail system.
On Saturday, August 13 and Sunday, August 14:
- Free shuttle buses will replace trains between Shady Grove and Grosvenor-Strathmore.
- Shady Grove, Rockville, Twinbrook and White Flint stations will be closed.