Check Out Celebrations During Hispanic Heritage Month
From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, the Latino community celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month.
So the nation’s largest minority group and fastest growing population come together to commemorate its Latinidad.
“It is a good opportunity to showcase the Latino culture,” said Elizabeth Ortega-Lohmeyer, recreation specialist at Montgomery County Recreation Department.
Ortega-Lohmeyer said September is the one month where “we can talk more about the Latino population” and added that no one can tell her that the U.S. is not a place in which people can not become successful.
“It’s the land of opportunities. If we are lucky to be in this country, let’s take advantage of this opportunity and go further,” Ortega-Lohmeyer said.
To Reemberto Rodriguez, Silver Spring regional director, the key is to move forward and keep celebrating all races, and all cultures.
“I think the more diverse we get and the more intertwined we get, the more we need to affirm our different heritages, which is a beautiful thing,” Rodriguez said.
Check out some of the events that will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month:
– Hispanic Heritage Night at Long Branch Community Recreation Center on Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. on 8700 Piney Branch Road in Silver Spring.
– AFI Latin American Film Festival from Sept. 18 to Oct. 15 at 8633 Colesville Road in Silver Spring. See film showings at AFI.com.
– Hispanic Heritage Gala in Silver Spring on Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. A black tie event that provides qualified Latino students with the Maryland Hispanic Achievement Scholarship.
– Mayan Calendars in the Planetarium on Sept. 20, 7 p.m. at the Montgomery College, Takoma Park.
– Frank Islam Athenaeum Symposia. Reyna Grande: Author of “The Distance Between Us” at Montgomery College, Germantown Campus. High Tech Building, Globe Hall.
– The Montgomery County Hispanic Heritage Event and “Harvest of Empire” Film Screening at the Executive Office Building Auditorium on Oct. 7, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
– Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Montgomery County GALA on Oct. 9, from 6 to 8:30 p.m.at the Rockville Hilton.
– Holiday Park’s Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration on Oct. 9, from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. – Refreshments, music, native costumes, and dance performances. ($2 at the door), 3950 Ferrara Dr. Silver Spring.
– Fourth Feria Annual de Salud at Guru Gobind Singh on Oct. 11, from 3 p.m. 6 p.m. at 13814 Travilah Road, Rockville.
– Holiday Park’s Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration on October 15, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Live Latin music with Joe Falero and the Sabor Latino Band ($5 or $3 with HPSI card), 3950 Ferrara Dr. Silver Spring.