Sexual Assault at Sligo Creek Parkway
The Maryland-National Capital Park Police are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying a suspect in a sexual assault which occurred on Sligo Creek Parkway between Maple Avenue and Piney Branch Road on April 21.
According to a police account, it happened at approximately 7:10 a.m. today when a female victim was jogging the Sligo Creek trail between Maple Avenue and Piney Branch Road. Police said the victim initially passed the suspect on the trail, and then turned around to head back down the trail. As she passed the suspect the second time, police said the suspect grabbed her “buttocks” as she passed him. The victim and suspect fled in opposite directions.
Police said the victim described the suspect as a stocky black male approximately 5’10”; wearing black sweat pants and a blue hoodie. Police said the suspect’s face was partially concealed by the hoodie.
Anyone with any information as to the identity of the suspect or any information regarding this incident is urged to call the Maryland-National Capital Park Police at 301.949.8010.
Additionally Maryland-National Capital Park Police offer the following advice to trail users:
* Avoid dark, vacant, or deserted areas; use well-lit and traveled areas.
* Avoid walking alone with a music player and earphones-you can’t hear people approaching from behind. If you must, then use only one side.
* Dress in clothes and shoes that will not hamper movement.
* Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
* Report suspicious activity to park Police at 301.949.8010.