SHA Launches Road Project in Wheaton
Starting June 30 the Maryland State Highway Administration will begin an $800,00 project to reduce congestion and improve safety at the intersection of Md. 586 (Veirs Mill Road) and Ferrara Avenue in Wheaton.
SHA is extending the turn lane on westbound Md. 586 to Ferrara Avenue by 150 feet, which will create space for an additional six vehicles. The extra space in the turn lane will help improve intersection operations and reduce congestion. Other work on the project includes:
• Changing the traffic signal phasing to provide a shared left turn and through movement
• Upgrading sidewalks and ramps to meet ADA compliance
• Reconstructing the concrete median
• Removing existing pavement and resurfacing the intersection
• Applying new pavement markings
Motorists should expect daily single lane closures Mondays through Friday from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. During the resurfacing, crews will work overnight from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. Nearly 38,000 vehicles per day travel through the intersection.
The project should be completed by fall, weather permitting, according to the SHA.