SNAP Challenge Day 6 – Creativity
On Day 5 I ran out the door to work without eating breakfast. Was I tired of eating my oatmeal and raisins? Or was I subconsciously trying to stretch my food until the end of the week? I’m not certain. The day began with a meeting that ran much longer than planned, but somehow managed to have lunch at 1 p.m. – the earliest I’ve eaten lunch all week. Instead of hummus for an afternoon snack, I had a banana. Before work concluded a few emails shifted what would be a quiet long weekend into a semi-working weekend. Spinach is one of my favorite vegetables, but I didn’t want spinach salad for dinner. I discovered the second package of turkey I purchased had not been opened yet; I cubed some of the turkey meat and sautéed it and the spinach with olive oil and a few spices.
- I am trying to strike a balance between being worried about the amount of food on hand and nourishing myself so I can function throughout the day.
- Preparing the spinach differently was a good idea.
- I’m glad I remembered the bananas. I was going to only consume 1/2 a banana. Eating a whole banana was a treat!
- The soup will be gone on Day 6 after lunch. I checked after dinner – I have plenty of oatmeal on hand. I may use it as a replacement for the soup on Day 7.
Questions posed to me on Day 5 and my answers:
- Q: Have you done any cooking during the SNAP Challenge?
- A: Not really because I prepared my meal at the start of the week. I primarily reheat the entrée, boil rice and prepare salad and/or veggies.
- Q: Are you getting enough to eat?
- A: Actually, I am, but I think it is because of the food I chose to prepare and the portions I am consuming.
- Q: How is your energy level?
- A: My energy is pretty good during the day. At the end of the day I am tired, but I don’t think it is a result of the food that I’m eating this week. It’s more due to my schedule and the tasks on my to do list.
Day 6 will be a full day including running errands, attending a training class and volunteering in another cooking class. I will also need to apply a bit more creativity to my meals moving forward. Day 6 will be the end of my tasty hummus and raisin packages. I’ll have to sort out what will be snacks on Day 7. Perhaps grapefruit sections?