Storm Safety Tips
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a flash flood watch for Montgomery County, for this afternoon through late tonight. Storms that bring heavy rain, damaging winds, and flooding are possible today. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind during these weather events.
Heavy Rain and Flooding
- Many roads in the county are susceptible to flooding. Consider an alternate route before you begin traveling to your destination.
- Exercise caution on the roadway. Leave a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles on the road and remember to turn on your car headlights.
- Do not drive through a flooded road. “Turn Around – Don’t Drown” and try an alternate route! Do not underestimate the power of moving water!
- Know your location and do not become distracted while driving to your destination. If you need Police or Fire&Rescue, you want to be able to provide your specific location.
- If you encounter high water, turn around and drive to a safe spot. Call the police non-emergency number (301-279-8000) so that emergency personnel are aware of the issue.
- Damaging winds can cause downed trees and wires. If you encounter downed trees or wires on a roadway, turn around!
- Do not assume that a downed wire is safe simply because it is on the ground or it is not sparking – stay clear !
- If you encounter a downed tree or wires, move to a safe spot. Call the police non-emergency number (301-279-8000) so that emergency personnel are aware of the issue.
- Secure outdoor items or bring the items inside until the storm passes.