fire

February 14, 2018 | Douglas Tallman

Regulars Mourn Loss of Dietle’s — ‘A Relic of Bygone Days’

A dozen or more of Hank Dietle’s regulars clustered outside the tavern Wednesday afternoon, remembering the bar they frequented. “It was like a relic of bygone days,” said Tom, who didn’t want to give his last name. “A true bar from the 50s.” Here are images of the aftermath of the Wednesday night fire that […]

Read more

January 31, 2018 | Michelle Queen

Apartment Fire Displaces Aspen Hill Residents

An apartment fire displaced 21 people from their homes, according to Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service (MCFRS). It happened in the 2900 block of Hewitt Avenue in Aspen Hill on Tuesday afternoon at the Somerset Apartments. Residents discovered the fire on the top floor of the three-story apartment building, according to MCFRS spokesman Pete […]

Read more

January 5, 2018 | Mitti Hicks

Fire Officials Remind Residents to Think Smart Ash

Winter time for fire and safety crews can be the busiest time of year. Last weekend was unusually busy for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services, according to the department’s spokesperson, Pete Piringer. The reason? Well in addition to broken pipes, the mishandling of chimney and fireplace ashes contributed to several significant fires last weekend. […]

Read more

November 20, 2017 | Douglas Tallman

Silver Spring Fire Displaces Three Family Members

Update (~630p) 1718 Republic Rd; singe family house; Cause, accidental, electrical; Area of Origin, bsmt bedroom; Damage, $125K; at least 3 displaced; no one home at time, no injury, >50 FFs OS pic.twitter.com/gw24IdyB1m — Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) November 20, 2017 A Sunday night fire in Silver Spring displaced three people, a Montgomery County Fire and […]

Read more

November 17, 2017 | Staff Writer

Rockville Apartment Fire Displaces Nine Families

A Thursday night fire in the walls of a Rockville apartment building displaced nine families and caused more than $250,000 in damages, a fire spokesman said. It was likely an accidental fire caused by smoking materials, said Pete Piringer, spokesman for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue. The fire, at the Galvan apartments in the 1800 […]

Read more

October 30, 2017 | Staff Writer

Residents Moving Back Into Promenade

Residents are moving back into the Promenade Towers as electricity was restored over the weekend, said Carl Hyde on Monday. Hyde is the property’s community manager. A fire knocked out electrical equipment Saturday, Oct. 21. In its north and south towers, the 18-story Promenade has more than 1,000 units, Hyde said. About 500 units were […]

Read more

October 23, 2017 | Staff Writer

Bethesda Apartment Fire Displaces Hundreds

A fire at the Promenade Apartments in Bethesda sent 18 people to the hospital, six with smoke inhalation, and displaced hundreds of others, according to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services. One firefighter was taken to a hospital for heat exhaustion. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents, MCFRS said. The fire caused […]

Read more

September 27, 2017 | Staff Writer

Police Release Identity of Victim in North Bethesda Fire

U/D Danbury Road. Fire extinguished MCFRS Fire Investigations and MCPD on scene to conduct the joint investigation. @MCFRSNews pic.twitter.com/tNjDL3bNt8 — Daniel Ogren (@mcfrsPIO4) September 10, 2017 Updated, Sept. 27, 12:40 p.m.: Montgomery County police reported Wednesday that the victim in the fire had been identified as  Askia Khafra, age 21, of the 700 block of Wayne […]

Read more

August 7, 2017 | Phyllis Armstrong

Stepped Up Housing Code Inspections Unrelated to Silver Spring Explosion (VIDEO)

Nine new housing code specialists are being hired to increase the frequency of inspections at multi-family dwellings in Montgomery County. The County Council approved a new Landlord-Tenants bill in November, a little more than three months after a natural gas explosion and fire killed seven people at the Flower Branch Apartments in Silver Spring. The […]

Read more

August 7, 2017 | Douglas Tallman

Firefighters Battle Hoarder’s Items to Investigate Smoky Basement

Firefighters had to contend with the possessions of a hoarder to fight a fire in Silver Spring on Sunday. A passer-by saw smoke in the home, in the 10000 block of Greenock Road, and called 911, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer said. When firefighters arrived, “they were challenged by a pretty extreme […]

Read more

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter