photo of fire engine

Townhouse Fire in Gaithersburg Displaces Residents

UPDATE: The fire that destroyed a Gaithersburg townhome was likely caused by young adults who were burning paper on the back deck of the home, fire officials said Monday.

Montgomery County firefighters responded to a two-alarm townhouse fire in the 18500 block of Cherry Laurel Lane in Gaithersburg on June 29.

On his Twitter account, Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Pete Piringer reports that damage from this fire is estimated at $600,000 and the blaze displaced at least three families and several pets. One dog died in the fire, Piringer said.

According to Piringer, young adults were burning some paper on the back deck of the home Sunday.

“They thought the fire was out but there were some ashes left smoldering and unattended,” Piringer said.

Fire officials are expected to return to the Gaithersburg neighborhood to talk fire safety and check for working smoke alarms.

The investigation continues.


Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Sonya Burke

About Sonya Burke

Sonya Burke is the Multimedia Manager at Montgomery Community Media (MCM). You can email story ideas at or reach her on Twitter @SonyaNBurke.


| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter