Weekend Planner, April 14 – April 16 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend:
- The opening reception for two new Strathmore exhibits takes place Thursday at 7 p.m. The two exhibits are the 31st Biennial of the Creative Crafts Council and The Space Between which both are on display through May 21.
- Glenview Mansion’s current exhibit features the work of four artists, including Jennifer Kahn Barlow, Sara Leibman, Coriolana Simon, and Barbara Bell. Works are on display through May 12.
- Gallery B’s April exhibition features a juried exhibition of works by Maryland Federation of Art members. A public reception is scheduled for April 14 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- ‘Domestic Pursuits‘ at BlackRock Center for the Arts closes Saturday. The exhibit by three artists includes hand-pulled prints and stitched and woven textile works. The artists include Nancy McNamara, Dominie Nash, and Hillary Steel.
- Next up at BlackRock, the Art League of Germantown presents a five-day fine art and craft show which opens April 19.
- The Betty Mae Kramer Gallery’s Broken System exhibit is on display through May 13 and features work by emerging artist Benjamin Dale who was the 2016 Ida F. Haimovicz Visual Arts Awardee. The gallery is located in the Silver Spring Civic Building.
- The Art League of Germantown Mixed-Media Exhibit at Kentlands Mansion is on display through April 14.
- A juried multimedia exhibit celebrating spring titled “Arte di Primavera” is on display at the Arts Barn Gallery through May 1.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s new exhibit, Archetypes of Femininity, features sculptures by Cris Ianculescu and is on display through May 6. An opening reception is scheduled for Friday from 6 to 9 p.m.
- The Glen Echo Park Partnership operates three galleries with ongoing art exhibits. Find more information about their schedule visit the website, here.
- Bunnyland returns to Butler’s Orchard in Germantown this week. Enjoy a hayride, hunt for colorful eggs, ride pedal tractors, and more during your visit.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of The Three Billy Goats Gruff at Glen Echo Park continues this week through April 30.
- Adventure Theatre’s production of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp runs through May 21 at Glen Echo Park.
- Imagination Stage’s Saturday Song Circles are recommended for children ages 1-3 and their families. The next event is scheduled for April 22.
- Coming up:
Music & Dance:
- Strathmore’s Artist in Residence, violinist Patrick McAvinue, performs at the Strathmore Mansion today and again in two weeks, April 26. A free workshop led by McAvinue is scheduled for April 19.
- Humorist and author David Sedaris will appear at Strathmore Thursday. Sedaris will read selections from his writings and entertain questions from the audience.
- AMP pays tribute to jazz icon Charlie Byrd Friday with a performance by Chuck Redd & Friends. Redd, a drummer and vibraphonist, was a member of the Charlie Byrd Trio.
- DC-native folk rock songwriter Owen Danoff performs Saturday at AMP. Owen was a contestant on NBC’s The Voice last year.
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz Club hosts Clones of Funk Friday, Soul Crackers Saturday, and Harold Melvin’s Bluenotes Sunday.
Theater & Film:
- Olney Theatre presents The Magic Play through May 7.
- Roundhouse Theatre presents the comedy OR, with shows through May 7. Ryan Rilette, Roundhouse Artistic Director talks with Holly Twyford, who plays up-and-coming playwright Aphra Behn, in the video to the right about the production.
- Montgomery College’s performing arts students present Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night Wednesday through Saturday at the Parilla Performing Arts Center in Rockville.
Check the MyMCMedia calendar for more events this weekend.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: