Weekend Planner, April 21 – April 23 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend:
- Strathmore Mansion currently has two exhibits on display through May 21, the 31st Biennial of the Creative Crafts Council and The Space Between. Strathmore hosts two special events April 22, including a children’s talk and tour for ages 7 and up at 10:15 a.m. and a curator’s tour at 1 p.m. (Tickets are required for the children’s tour.)
- Glenview Mansion’s current exhibit features the work of four artists, including Jennifer Kahn Barlow, Sara Leibman, Coriolana Simon, and Barbara Bell. Works are on display through May 12.
- Gallery B’s April exhibition features a juried exhibition of works by Maryland Federation of Art members.
- The Art League of Germantown presents a five-day fine art and craft show at the BlackRock Center for the Arts. The show and sale runs through April 23. Live demonstrations by the artists are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. A reception will be held April 23 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- The Betty Mae Kramer Gallery’s Broken System exhibit is on display through May 13 and features work by emerging artist Benjamin Dale who was the 2016 Ida F. Haimovicz Visual Arts Awardee. The gallery is located in the Silver Spring Civic Building.
- The Gaithersburg Fine Arts Association presents a collection of multimedia works at Kentlands Mansion through July 7. The public is invited to meet the artists at a free reception and awards ceremony April 27 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- A juried multimedia exhibit celebrating spring titled “Arte di Primavera” is on display at the Arts Barn Gallery through May 1.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s new exhibit, Archetypes of Femininity, features sculptures by Cris Ianculescu and is on display through May 6.
- The Glen Echo Park Partnership operates three galleries with ongoing art exhibits. Find more information about their schedule by visiting the website, here.
- The Gaithersburg Sugarloaf Craft Festival takes place at the county fairgrounds this weekend. The show features the works of more than 250 artisans and includes live music, demonstrations, workshops and more.
- Enjoy a hayride, hunt for colorful eggs, ride pedal tractors, and more during your visit to Butler’s Orchard Bunnyland this weekend.
- The 18th annual Bethesda Literary Festival takes place in downtown Bethesda this weekend and features more than 20 events. Plan you visit with the online schedule, here.
- The Saturday family jazz session at Strathmore scheduled for April 22 explores the music of blues singer Bessie Smith.
- Rockville Science Day takes place on the Montgomery College campus Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Enjoy a variety of science and technology-related exhibits, activities, games and demonstrations. Plan your visit with the schedule of events, here.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of The Three Billy Goats Gruff at Glen Echo Park continues this week through April 30.
- Adventure Theatre’s production of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp runs through May 21 at Glen Echo Park.
- The next Saturday Song Circle at Imagination Stage, recommended for children ages 1-3 and their families, is scheduled for April 22.
- Imagination Stage’s production of The Jungle Book opens this weekend in Bethesda.
- Brookside Garden’s live butterfly exhibit, Wings of Fancy, opens April 26.
Theater & Film:
- Olney Theatre presents The Magic Play through May 7.
- Roundhouse Theatre presents the comedy OR, with shows through May 7.
- Montgomery College’s performing arts students present Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night Wednesday through Saturday at the Cultural Arts Center in Takoma Park / Silver Spring.
- Origami Tales provides a glimpse into Japanese culture at the Montgomery College Cultural Arts Center in Takoma Park / Silver Spring April 22. Using origami, music, and audience participation, Kuniko Yamamoto leads a workshop at 12:30 p.m. and a performance at 11 a.m.
- Kensington Arts Theatre-Second Stage’s musical comedy Guys and Dolls Jr. opens this week at Gaithersburg’s Arts Barn. Recommended for ages seven and older.
Check the MyMCMedia calendar for more events this weekend.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: