Weekend Planner, April 7 – April 9 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend:
- Two new exhibits open at Strathmore Saturday, April 8 with an opening reception Thursday, April 13 at 7 p.m. The two exhibits are the 31st Biennial of the Creative Crafts Council and The Space Between which both are on display through May 21.
- Glenview Mansion’s exhibit features the work of four artists, including Jennifer Kahn Barlow, Sara Leibman, Coriolana Simon, and Barbara Bell. Works are on display through May 12.
- ‘Domestic Pursuits‘ at BlackRock Center for the Arts is a three-person exhibit of hand-pulled prints and stitched and woven textile works. The artists include Nancy McNamara, Dominie Nash, and Hillary Steel. Attend Saturday’s artist talk and gallery tour to learn more about their work. The exhibit, on display in the Kay Gallery, runs through April 15.
- The Betty Mae Kramer Gallery’s Broken System exhibit is on display through May 13 and features work by emerging artist Benjamin Dale who was the 2016 Ida F. Haimovicz Visual Arts Awardee. The gallery is located in the Silver Spring Civic Building.
- The Art League of Germantown Mixed-Media Exhibit at Kentlands Mansion is on display through April 14.
- A juried multimedia exhibit celebrating spring titled “Arte di Primavera” is on display at the Arts Barn Gallery through May 1.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s Somerset Artists Exhibition is on display through April 8 and features works by Cathy Abramson, Judith A. Baldinger, Mak Dehejia, Len Harris, Carol Jason, Joan Krash, Richard Lasner and Virginia Mahoney.
- Children’s theatre touring group, Virginia Rep on Tour, brings the musical House at Pooh Corner to Olney Theatre with five performances this weekend.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of The Three Billy Goats Gruff at Glen Echo Park continues this week through April 30.
- Adventure Theatre’s production of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp opens Friday, April 7 at Glen Echo Park.
- Imagination Stage’s Saturday musical workshops are recommended for children ages 1-3 and their families. Saturday’s session is based on the children’s book “Five Little Ducks.“
- The Alphabet Rockers perform at AMP Saturday, April 8 at 10:30 a.m. This performance is part of AMP’s Pajama Jams series for families with young children.
- Coming up:
Music & Dance:
- Comedians Spanky Brown and Todd Riley perform at AMP Thursday, April 6.
- Flutist Annie Wu performs at Strathmore Mansion Thursday, April 6.
- Rhythm and Blues band Secret Society, perform at AMP Friday, April 7.
- D.C. based The VI-Kings bring the rock music of the 1960s alive at AMP Saturday, April 8.
- Gino Vannelli and his band have two shows at the Bethesda Blues & Jazz Club. Friday, April 7 and Saturday, April 8.
- Gaithersburg’s Singer Songwriter Concert Series continue with Martyn Joseph and Michael Kelly; attend a workshop with the artists at 3 p.m. and/or the concert at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 8 at the Arts Barn.
- Jazz musicians Elan Trotman and Brian Simpson perform at the Bethesda Blues & Jazz Club Sunday, April 9.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra led by Ludovic Morlot and featuring violinist Ray Chen perform Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique Thursday, April 6 at Strathmore Music Center.
- Strathmore’s season-long blues musical festival continues with a workshop with blues singer Brianna Thomas Saturday, April 8 Then on Sunday, April 9, vocalists Catherine Russell, Brianna Thomas, and Charenee Wade perform in the Music Center.
- Home Free band, winners of NBC’s The Sing-Off, are in concert Friday, April 7 at Strathmore Music Center.
- The PUBLIQuartet, an electroacoustic string ensemble, performs at Strathmore Mansion Sunday, April 9.
- Alon Goldstein & Fine Arts Quartet appear at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington Sunday, April 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Theater & Film:
- BlackRock screens the documentary film States of Grace Saturday, April 8 at 4 p.m. The film tells the story of the a physician’s recovery following a life-changing car accident.
- The documentary film Hometown Habitat, Stories of Bringing Nature Home screens at BlackRock Sunday, April 9 at 4 p.m.
- The farce, OR, opens at Round House Theatre Wednesday, April 12 and runs through May 7.
- Coming Up: Montgomery College’s performing arts students present Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night Wednesday through Saturday, April 12-15 at the Parilla Performing Arts Center in Rockville.
Check the MyMCMedia calendar for more events this weekend.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: