Weekend Planner, August 28 – August 30 (VIDEO)
Here are some of our weekend picks from the MyMCMedia.org calendar:
Friday, August 28
- Downtown Live outdoor concert featuring music by Gringo Jingo- The Ultimate Santana Tribute Band at Fountain Plaza in Silver Spring. The concert begins at 6:30 p.m.
- On the Dawson’s Market Stage: The Sandra Dean Band featuring Daryl Davis at Rockville Town Square at 6:30 p.m.
- Lakefront Live at Rio: The Crawdaddies. It’s the last Lakefront live concert of the summer and starts at 6:30 p.m. at Rio Washingtonian in Gaithersburg.
- It’s TGIF and Wheaton TGIF is hosting free concerts and movies at the Wheaton Triangle, corner of Grandview Avenue and Reedie Drive. This Friday you can bring a chair or blanket and your family and friends to enjoy music at 7 p.m. and movies at dusk.
- Boot Camp on the Square: Gold’s Gym is hosting an outdoor workout every Friday from 10 to 11 a.m. at the Rockville Town Square.
- Open house event focused on new building codes: In an effort to familiarize the construction industry with the new building codes adopted to implement the 2015 code cycle, the Department of Permitting Services (DPS) is holding a series of open house sessions. Sessions start at 9 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Friday on the Commons: Back To School Carnival. Town of Poolesville is hosting a summer-long series of celebrations, featuring games, bounce houses, farmers markets, artisan vendors, movies, and music.
- Montgomery County residents have a chance to immerse in the lives of children who live in places like Kenya and Philipines through Change the Story: The Compassion Experience– an interactive three-day tour where people can see children’s homes, walk through schools, markets, and hear life-changing stories of people who live on less than $1.25 per day. The tour is free, but reservations are highly suggested.
Saturday, August 29
- MCPS to host a fair to welcome students and families to the new school year. The fair takes place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the grounds of Carver Educational Services Center located at 850 Hungerford Drive in Rockville.
- Take a guided tour along the underground railroad at the Woodlawn Manor Cultural park in Sandy Spring.
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz Club: The Wannabeatle– a Grammy-nominated tribute band that performs your favorite Beatles songs from all eras of the legendary band’s extensive collection.
- Pick your fresh fruits and vegetables bedding plants, cut flowers, preserves, honey, herbs, baked goods, and more at this Saturday’s farmers market in Rockville from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- It’s game time: The MC Raptors Men’s Soccer and the Delaware County CC will meet each at the lower field of the Montgomery College Rockville campus. The game starts at 1 p.m. and it’s free.
- Mapping Gaithersburg: From Wilderness to Metropolis, a new exhibit on display at the Gaithersburg Community Museum next to the Train Station in Olde Towne. The event is free and open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Fenton Street Market: A market “known for its hippest atmosphere” featuring more than 50 local artists and makers selling everything from soap and candles to fine art and ceramics at 1 Veterans Place in Silver Spring.
Sunday, August 30
- Bethesda to Hollywood Film Series: Seabiscuit at the Westfield Montgomery Mall. The series were specially curated by Bethesda Magazine and runs each Sunday at 7:15 p.m.
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz Club: Indigo Love A Tribute to Sarah Vaughan at 7 p.m. at the Bethesda Blues and Jazz Supper Club.
- Going back in time with Dinosaur Desperados. Returning to prehistorical days where “old West meets the old, old, old West and the Dew Drop Inn, in Fossil Junction.” Dinosaur desperados is a puppet show hosted by Puppet Co. at the Glen Echo Park, but it ends this Sunday. Performances at 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Enjoy a Kuchipudi Dance Immersion Class performance at the Sutradhar Institute of Dance and Related Arts in Silver Spring. Admission is $25.
- Enjoy art and music at the Glenview Mansion Art Gallery featuring the mixed media of Child-Olmsted/Rexrode’s “Art Connections: Images of Life from Two Generations,” acrylic paintings of Audrey Salkind’s “From My Perspective” and the fiber works of Fiber Quartet’s “World of Color.” The free reception and a concert by singer-songwriter Guy Robert Jean start at 2 p.m.
- Guests are welcomed at a cappella chorus rehearsal– a 4-part a cappella men’s chorus that rehearse Sunday evening in the educational wing at St. Rose of Lima Church located at 11701 Clopper Road in Gaithersburg.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: