Weekend Planner, Feb. 10 – Feb. 12 (VIDEOS)
Check out our Guide on How You Can Celebrate Black History Month in the County to find great events and activities. If you are looking for a Valentine’s Day suggestion, the New Orchestra of Washington presents Seasons of Love on Tuesday, Feb. 14 at Amp by Strathmore.
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend, check the MyMCMedia calendar for more choices.
- The Cabin Fever exhibit at Kentlands Mansion is on display through April 14. A reception open to the public takes place Thursday, Feb. 9 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. This juried mixed-media exhibit features works by members of the Art League of Germantown.
- The Mansion at Strathmore has two exhibits on display now through Feb. 19. The La Vie en Bleu exhibit explores the color blue. Learn to make a cyan print at Friday’s Make It/Take It event. The Crossfade exhibit includes works by young Baltimore artists. A closing reception and film screening for the Crossfade exhibit is scheduled for Feb. 17 at 7 p.m.
- BlackRock Center for the Arts in Germantown opens three new exhibits Saturday, Feb. 11. All three are on display through Mar. 11. Come out and meet the artists at the opening receptions scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 12 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Bethesda’s Gallery B February exhibit features sculpture by Caroline Champetier de Ribes, photographs by mari matsuri and paintings by Brigitte Zelenko. The exhibit is on display now through February 25 with an opening reception scheduled for Friday, Feb. 10 at 6 p.m.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s Process and Inspiration exhibit features the works of gallery and guest artists. The exhibit opened Tuesday and will be on display through Mar. 4. An opening reception is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 10 from 5 to 9 p.m.
- The “Winter White” exhibit is on display at Gaithersburg Arts Barn through Feb. 27. The exhibit focuses on work that has little or no color.
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day at the Thomas Farm Community Center Friday, Feb. 10. The theme of the event is chocolate – watch the film ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory’, eat popcorn and dip treats into a chocolate fountain, make a valentine and a craft. Fun for the entire family.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of Goldilocks for young children and their families continues at Glen Echo Park with five performances this weekend.
- Adventure Theatre’s musical Ella Enchanted continues through Mar. 19 at their theater in Glen Echo Park.
- Imagination Stage’s The Freshest Snow Whyte is a Hip Hop interpretation of the classic fairytale. The show opens Saturday, Feb. 11 and runs through Mar. 18.
- Coming soon:
- Stories of Dr. Seuss come to life through dance, performed by the Metropolitan Ballet Ensemble followed by Dr. Seuss birthday festivities at Gaithersburg Arts Barn, Feb. 20.
- Billy Price Band & The Nighthawks perform at the Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club Friday, Feb. 10.
- Syleena Johnson performs at the Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club Saturday, Feb. 11 at 8 p.m.
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day at Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club with performance by Jeff Bradshaw & Friends Sunday, Feb.12 at 8 p.m.
- Blues icon Chris Smither performs at AMP by Strathmore as part of the season long Blues music festival.
- Classical pianist Katie Mahan performs at the Strathmore Mansion Thursday, Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
- The professional dance company Step Afrika! comes to Strathmore Music Center Sunday, Feb. 12 at 4 p.m. This is their 3rd annual performance at Strathmore.
- African acrobats, jugglers, percussionists and more amaze viewers at Cirque Zuma Zuma at Montgomery College Cultural Arts Center, Sunday, Feb 12.
- The Ivy League of Comedy touring group makes a stop in Germantown at the BlackRock Center for the Arts Friday, Feb. 10 at 8:30 p.m. Their topic: ‘Battle of the Sexes‘
- Rockville Little Theater’s production of The Miracle Worker comes to the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre Feb. 3 through 12.
- The musical Caroline, or Change based on the book by Tony Kushner continues this week at Round House Theatre in Bethesda.
- Damascus Theatre Company’s production of I Love You Because at Gaithersburg Arts Barn opens Friday Feb. 10.
- Olney Theatre presents the dark musical Sweeney Todd. The show runs through March 5.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: