Weekend Planner, Feb. 24 – Feb. 26 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend, check the MyMCMedia calendar for more choices.
- The Cabin Fever exhibit at Kentlands Mansion is on display through April 14. This juried mixed-media exhibit features works by members of the Art League of Germantown.
- The Mansion at Strathmore has three new exhibits on display Feb. 25 through April 2. The Chroma exhibit includes photos taken and manipulated with electricity to create pieces of art. The Interiors exhibit focuses on home furnishings as the basis of art. The third exhibit features work by artist Daniel Watkins. His All My Friends piece begins with Facebook friends profile photos. Each pixel of the photo is digitized into a musical note, then arranged to become a piano arrangement which is then recorded on a cassette The cassettes become part of a sculpture. Mark your calendar for opening receptions Thursday, March 2 at 7 p.m.; a guided tour for children Saturday, March 4 at 10:15 a.m.; and a guided tour for adults Saturday, March 4 at 1 p.m.
- BlackRock Center for the Arts in Germantown has three exhibits on display through Mar. 11. Ink It is on display in the Kay Gallery and the Terrace Gallery includes works by Joshua Dunn and Thomas Germer.
- Bethesda’s Gallery B February exhibit featuring sculpture by Caroline Champetier de Ribes, photographs by mari matsuri and paintings by Brigitte Zelenko closes Saturday, Feb. 25.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s Process and Inspiration exhibit features the works of gallery and guest artists on display through Mar. 4. An artist talk and demonstration Sunday, Feb. 26 at 4 p.m is free and open to the public.
- The “Winter White” exhibit is on display at Gaithersburg Arts Barn through Feb. 27. The exhibit focuses on work that has little or no color.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of Jack and the Beanstalk opens Thursday, Feb. 23 at Glen Echo Park.
- Adventure Theatre’s musical Ella Enchanted continues through Mar. 19 at their theater in Glen Echo Park.
- Imagination Stage’s The Freshest Snow Whyte is a Hip Hop interpretation of the classic fairytale. The show runs through Mar. 18.
- Coming soon:
- The next family jazz session at Strathmore for children is scheduled for Saturday, March 4 in the Mansion. Children will explore jazz from the Middle East.
Music & Dance:
- April Verch performs country and folk music at BlackRock Center for the Arts Thursday, Feb. 23.
- The sounds of traditional Irish music will fill AMP with Altan’s performance Friday, Feb. 24.
- Strathmore’s season-long blues musical festival continues with Wynton Marsalis at Strathmore Friday and Sunday, Feb. 24 and 26.
- The blues festival continues at AMP with the film screening of “Anacostia Delta: Home of the World’s Great ‘Unknown’ Guitarists” Saturday, Feb. 25.
- Award-winning bluegrass band The Gibson Brothers perform at AMP Sunday, Feb. 26.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra led by Nicholas McGegan performs Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 4 and other selections at Strathmore Saturday, Feb. 25.
- The musical Caroline, or Change based on the book by Tony Kushner closes this week at Round House Theatre in Bethesda.
- The Victorian Lyric Opera Company presents “La Perichole” at the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre with three performances this weekend.
- Damascus Theatre Company’s production of I Love You Because at Gaithersburg Arts Barn wraps up this weekend.
- Olney Theatre presents the dark musical Sweeney Todd. The show runs through March 5.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: