Weekend Planner, Jan. 13 – Jan. 16 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment, check the MyMCMedia calendar for more choices.
Observe the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday at the MLK Celebration & Tribute at Strathmore Monday afternoon or at the City of Rockville’s celebration in the morning. Both events include performances and awards.
- Take a guided tour of the two art exhibits at Strathmore Mansion Saturday, Jan. 14. This is a free event and tickets are not required. The La Vie en Bleu exhibit explores the color blue. The Crossfade exhibit includes works by young Baltimore artists. Both are on display through Feb. 19. The children’s talk and tour scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 14 is sold out.
- BlackRock Center for the Arts in Germantown has three exhibits open now through Feb. 4.
- Bethesda’s Gallery B hosts a reception Friday, Jan. 13 for their “Local Color by the Seven Palettes” exhibit.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s “Two for the Road” exhibit features the photography of Kate Stillwell and Wil Scott. The gallery hosts an opening reception Friday, Jan. 13.
- The “Winter White” exhibit is on display at Gaithersburg Arts Barn through Feb. 27. The exhibit focuses on work that has little or no color.
- Imagination Stage’s production of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast closes Sunday, Jan. 15. Tickets are still available for some of the remaining five performances.
- Make giving back a family project this weekend. Numerous volunteer opportunities are available at MontgomeryServes.org.
- Coming soon:
- Olney Theatre presents The Rainbow Fish based on the children’s book by Marcus Pfister the weekend of January 28. Recommended for ages Pre-K to 3rd Grade.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of Goldilocks for young children and their families opens January 20.
- Adventure Theatre’s musical Ella Enchanted opens February 3 at their theater in Glen Echo Park.
- Chris Mann of NBC’s The Voice fame will appear at AMP by Strathmore, Thursday, Jan. 12.
- The Grammy-nominated Inscape Chamber Orchestra performs at the Strathmore Mansion Thursday, Jan. 12. Learn more about Inscape, here.
- It’s Dance Night at Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club Friday, Jan. 13 and the band scheduled to play is Suttle.
- “Smooth” Wardlow performs a tribute to Rhythm and Blues legend Luther Vandross at AMP by Strathmore Friday, Jan. 13.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra has two Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 performances at Strathmore this weekend. Friday, the less traditional off the cuff performance is led by conductor Marin Alsop. Sunday, the more traditional concert features violinist Jonathan Carney.
- The National Philharmonic performs a concert of Bach works Saturday, Jan. 14 at the Music Center at Strathmore.
- Fillmore concerts this weekend include Pusha T presented by Dream Bigger Live and Saved by the 90s with the Bayside Tigers.
- Sandy Spring Theatre Group’s production of the drama Twelve Angry Men continues this week at Gaithersburg’s Arts Barn.
- Coming soon:
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: