Weekend Planner, Jan. 6 – Jan. 8 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment, check the MyMCMedia calendar for more choices.
- Meet the resident artists at Sandy Spring Museum at Saturday’s open house from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Strathmore’s 26th annual juried exhibition opens Saturday with a theme of blue to accompany the season-long blues music festival, Shades of Blue.
- Three new art exhibits open at BlackRock Center for the Arts in Germantown Saturday, with receptions scheduled for 2 to 4 p.m.
- A new exhibit – “Local Color by the Seven Palettes” – is on display at Bethesda’s Gallery B from January 4 through 28. The gallery is open daily except Sunday.
- Coming soon: Photographers Kate Stillwell and Wil Scott display their work at the “Two for the Road” exhibit at Waverly Street Gallery from January 10 through February 4.
- ClancyWorks Dance Company presents a free dance concert at Randolph Road Theatre Saturday, January 7 at 5 p.m. The troupe will be joined by middle-school students from ClancyAspire, an Excel Beyond the Bell program.
- Check out Glen Echo Park’s social dance calendar for this weekend Most, if not all, events start with an introductory class for beginners.
- It’s a kids pajama jam party for the younger set and their families at AMP by Strathmore Saturday morning. Check out Jazzy Ash & the Leaping Lizards in the video to the right.
- Imagination Stage’s production of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast continues through January 15 with five performances this weekend.
- Coming soon: The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of Goldilocks for young children and their families opens January 20.
- Coming soon: Adventure Theatre’s musical Ella Enchanted opens February 3 at their theater in Glen Echo Park.
Shopping or Special Event:
- Are you planning a wedding? The bridal show at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda includes a review of The Rooftop @ 7400.
- Coming soon: Glenview Mansion wedding expo takes place Sunday, January 29 at noon.
- Sonny Landreth and Sarah Borges perform at Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club Friday, January 6 at 8 p.m.
- The 76 Degrees West Band with Sugar Bear perform at Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club Saturday, January 7 at 7:30 p.m.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performs Tschaikovsky’s Pathetique at the Music Center at Strathmore Saturday, January 7 at 8 p.m. Dima Slobodeniouk conducts the orchestra.
- The Sunday Afternoon Concert Series at the Glenview Mansion in Rockville features singer-songwriter Barbara Martin this weekend. All concerts in this series are free and open to the public with no rickets or reservations required.
- Coming Thursday, January 12: Chris Mann of NBC’s The Voice fame will appear at AMP by Strathmore.
- Sandy Spring Theatre Group’s production of the drama Twelve Angry Men opens this week at Gaithersburg’s Arts Barn.
- The musical Mary Poppins at Olney Theatre closes Sunday. A few tickets remain for the Friday show, all other performances are sold out.
- Coming soon: The musical Caroline, or Change based on the book by Tony Kushner opens at Round House Theatre Jan. 25.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: