Weekend Planner, March 10 – March 12 (VIDEOS)
Don’t forget to turn your clocks ahead an hour as Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday, March 12 at 2 a.m. It is also a good time to check your smoke and gas alarms.
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend, check the MyMCMedia calendar for more choices.
- The Betty Mae Kramer Gallery, located in the Silver Spring Civic Building, hosts an opening reception and awards presentation Thursday, March 9 at 6 p.m. The Broken System exhibit features work by emerging artist Benjamin Dale who was the 2016 Ida F. Haimovicz Visual Arts Awardee.
- The Art League of Gemantown Mixed-Media Exhibit at Kentlands Mansion is on display through April 14.
- The Mansion at Strathmore has three exhibits on display now through April 2. The Chroma exhibit includes photos taken and manipulated with electricity to create pieces of art. The Interiors exhibit focuses on home furnishings as the basis of art. The third exhibit features work by artist Daniel Watkins. His All My Friends piece begins with Facebook profile photos of his friends. Each pixel of the photo is digitized into a musical note, then arranged to become a piano arrangement which is then recorded on a cassette The cassettes become part of a sculpture.
- BlackRock Center for the Arts in Germantown has three exhibits on display through Mar. 11. Ink It is on display in the Kay Gallery and the Terrace Gallery includes works by Joshua Dunn and Thomas Germer.
- Bethesda’s Gallery B March exhibit titled Beyond That is curated by Nihal Kececi of Gallery NK and features artwork by eight artists: Alfredo Palmero, Nihal Kececi, Nadia Arditti, Steffen Faisst, Bryan Grose, Noel Aquino, Niko Rakusu and Isao Tomoda. The exhibit is on display through March 25 with an opening reception scheduled for Friday, March 10 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s Somerset Artists Exhibition features works by Cathy Abramson, Judith A. Baldinger, Mak Dehejia, Len Harris, Carol Jason, Joan Krash, Richard Lasner and Virginia Mahoney. The gallery hosts an opening reception with the artists Friday, March 10 from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Visit the Activity Center at Bohrer Park to enjoy the “Creativity Alive in Gaithersburg!” multimedia exhibit featuring the artwork of students and teachers attending county schools from the Gaithersburg cluster. The juried exhibit is on display through April 2. Meet the artists at a free reception Friday, March 10 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Student artwork is also on display at the Glenview Mansion Art Gallery in Rockville from now to March 22.
- The Montgomery Village Kiwanis host a basketball exhibition game between the Harlem Ambassadors and a team of players from the Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Services at the Rockville Campus of Montgomery College Friday, March 10.
- The Gaithersburg St. Patrick’s Day Parade takes place at Rio Washingtonian Center Saturday, March 11 from 10 a.m. to noon. The parade route begins at Rio Boulevard and Grand Corner and continues down Grand Corner to the Kohl’s.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of Jack and the Beanstalk continues this weekend at Glen Echo Park.
- Adventure Theatre’s musical Ella Enchanted continues through Mar. 19 at their theater in Glen Echo Park.
- Imagination Stage’s The Freshest Snow Whyte is a Hip Hop interpretation of the classic fairytale. The show has been extended through Mar. 25.
- Coming soon: The next family jazz session at Strathmore for children is scheduled for Saturday, March 18 in the Mansion. Children will explore jazz from India. Get your tickets early as the first two sessions sold out.
Music & Dance:
- The Brooklyn-based PROJECT Trio performs Thursday, March 9 at the Strathmore Mansion.
- Be Steadwell performs at AMP Thursday, March 9 at 8 p.m. The video below shows Be Steadwell performing Worthy.
- The Bumper Jacksons with Front Country appear at AMP Friday, March 10 at 8 p.m. The Bumper Jacksons perform “Sweet Mama, Sweet Daddy, Come In” in this video.
- The EU (Experience Unlimited) perform at Bethesda Blues & Jazz Club Friday, March 10.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra led by Paul Goodwin and featuring pianist Jan Lisiecki performs Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5, “Emperor” and other selections at Strathmore Saturday, March 11. Listen to the BSO podcast of Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5, here.
- The Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras perform Saturday, March 11 at Strathmore’s Music Center.
- The Rockville Concert Band presents a gala concert at the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre Sunday, March 12 at 3 p.m.
- The Young Artists of America at Strathmore perform The Circle of Life Sunday, March 12. This production features songs by Tim Rice, including Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Aida, Chess, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.
- Coming soon: The Ten Tenors perform Monday, March 13 at Strathmore. Take a look at this video of the Ten Tenors performing “Thinking Out Loud.”
- Rockville Musical Theatre’s production of Dogfight opens at Gaithersburg’s Arts Barn, Friday March 10 and runs through March 26.
- The Cashore Marionettes perform at the Montgomery College Cultural Arts Center this weekend.
- The Flying V Theatre production of Brother Mario continues through March 19 at The Writer’s Center in Bethesda.
- Olney Theatre presents Fickle: A Fancy French Farce through March 26 on the Theatre Lab stage.
Be Steadwell performing Worthy:
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: