Weekend Planner, March 3 – March 5 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend, check the MyMCMedia calendar for more choices.
- The Art League of Gemantown Mixed-Media Exhibit at Kentlands Mansion is on display through April 14.
- The Mansion at Strathmore has three exhibits on display now through April 2. A public opening reception for the exhibits takes place Thursday, March 2 at 7 p.m. Two guided tours are scheduled for Saturday, March 4 — a children’s tour at 10:15 a.m. and a tour for adults at 1 p.m. The Chroma exhibit includes photos taken and manipulated with electricity to create pieces of art. The Interiors exhibit focuses on home furnishings as the basis of art. The third exhibit features work by artist Daniel Watkins. His All My Friends piece begins with Facebook profile photos of his friends. Each pixel of the photo is digitized into a musical note, then arranged to become a piano arrangement which is then recorded on a cassette The cassettes become part of a sculpture.
- BlackRock Center for the Arts in Germantown has three exhibits on display through Mar. 11. Ink It is on display in the Kay Gallery and the Terrace Gallery includes works by Joshua Dunn and Thomas Germer.
- Bethesda’s Gallery B March exhibit titled Beyond That is curated by Nihal Kececi of Gallery NK and features artwork by eight artists: Alfredo Palmero, Nihal Kececi, Nadia Arditti, Steffen Faisst, Bryan Grose, Noel Aquino, Niko Rakusu and Isao Tomoda. An opening reception is scheduled for Friday, March 10 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s Process and Inspiration exhibit features the works of gallery and guest artists on display through Mar. 4.
- Visit the Activity Center at Bohrer Park to enjoy the “Creativity Alive in Gaithersburg!” multimedia exhibit featuring the artwork of students and teachers attending county schools from the Gaithersburg cluster. The juried exhibit is on display through April 2. Meet the artists at a free reception Friday, March 10 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Student artwork is also on display at the Glenview Mansion Art Gallery in Rockville from now to March 22.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of Jack and the Beanstalk continues this weekend at Glen Echo Park.
- Adventure Theatre’s musical Ella Enchanted continues through Mar. 19 at their theater in Glen Echo Park.
- Imagination Stage’s The Freshest Snow Whyte is a Hip Hop interpretation of the classic fairytale. The show runs through Mar. 18. Come early for the Saturday night performance to create your own graffiti wall.
- Jazz from the Middle East is the topic for Saturday’s family jazz session at Strathmore. This session is sold out.
- Coming soon: The next family jazz session at Strathmore for children is scheduled for Saturday, March 18 in the Mansion. Children will explore jazz from the India. Get your tickets early as the first two sessions sold out.
Music & Dance:
- Get your laugh on at AMP with Philly Plowden & Dusty Slay Thursday, March 2 at 8 p.m.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra led by Marin Alsop and featuring pianist Hélène Grimaud performs Brahm’s Piano Concerto No. 2 and other selections at Strathmore Thursday, March 2. Listen to the BSO podcast of Brahm’s Piano Concerto No. 2, here.
- Arts on the Green singer songwriter concert series continues this weekend with the Dala Girls Saturday, March 4. Amanda Walther and Sheila Carabine make up the group and lead a workshop at 3 p.m. and perform at 7:30 p.m. at Gaithersburg Arts Barn.
- A contemporary circus is coming to town at BlackRock Center for the Arts this weekend! The Barely Methodical Troupe will perform their unique mix of handstands, back flips, and hand-to-hand acrobatics Saturday, March 4 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, March 5 at 3 p.m. They also will lead teach an acrobatics workshop Saturday, March 4 at 2:30 p.m.
- The Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras perform the Queen Symphony Saturday, March 4 at Strathmore’s Music Center.
- Strathmore’s season-long blues musical festival continues with Searra Leonne’s Refugee All Stars band at AMP Sunday, March 5 at 8 p.m. Watch a music video of the group, here.
- Grammy Award winning musician Cathy Fink reads and performs short stories at the Strathmore Mansion Sunday, March 5. This is a free event.
- The Flying V Theatre presents Brother Mario through March 12 at The Writer’s Center in Bethesda.
- Olney Theatre presents Fickle: A Fancy French Farce through April 2 on the Theatre Lab stage.
- The Victorian Lyric Opera Company presents “La Perichole” at the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre with three performances this weekend.
- This is the last week for the dark musical Sweeney Todd at Olney Theatre.
- Coming soon: The musical Dogfight presented by Rockville Musical Theatre opens at Gaithersburg Arts Barn Friday, March 10.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: