Weekend Planner, March 31 – April 2 (VIDEOS)
Here are some of our picks for arts and entertainment this weekend:
- The opening reception for the Glenview Mansion’s new exhibit takes place Sunday, April 2 at 2 p.m. The exhibit features the work of four artists, including Jennifer Kahn Barlow, Sara Leibman, Coriolana Simon, and Barbara Bell. Brooklyn-based singer Castriota performs in the mansion’s living room at 2 p.m.
- ‘Domestic Pursuits‘ at BlackRock Center for the Arts is a three-person exhibit of hand-pulled prints and stitched and woven textile works. The artists include Nancy McNamara, Dominie Nash, and Hillary Steel. The exhibit is on display in the Kay Gallery and runs through April 15. Coming up: Saturday, April 8 is an artist talk and gallery tour at 2 p.m.
- The Betty Mae Kramer Gallery’s Broken System exhibit is on display through May 13 and features work by emerging artist Benjamin Dale who was the 2016 Ida F. Haimovicz Visual Arts Awardee. The gallery is located in the Silver Spring Civic Building.
- The Art League of Germantown Mixed-Media Exhibit at Kentlands Mansion is on display through April 14.
- A juried multimedia exhibit celebrating spring titled “Arte di Primavera” is on display at the Arts Barn Gallery through May 1.
- The Mansion at Strathmore has three exhibits on display now through April 2. The Chroma exhibit includes photos taken and manipulated with electricity to create pieces of art. The Interiors exhibit focuses on home furnishings as the basis of art. The third exhibit features work by artist Daniel Watkins. His All My Friends piece begins with Facebook profile photos of his friends. Each pixel of the photo is digitized into a musical note, then arranged to become a piano arrangement which is then recorded on a cassette The cassettes become part of a sculpture.
- Waverly Street Gallery’s Somerset Artists Exhibition is on display through April 8 and features works by Cathy Abramson, Judith A. Baldinger, Mak Dehejia, Len Harris, Carol Jason, Joan Krash, Richard Lasner and Virginia Mahoney.
- Visit the Activity Center at Bohrer Park to enjoy the “Creativity Alive in Gaithersburg!” multimedia exhibit featuring the artwork of students and teachers attending county schools from the Gaithersburg cluster. The juried exhibit is on display through April 2.
- The Puppet Co. Playhouse production of The Three Billy Goats Gruff opens this week and continues through April 30.
- A children’s magic show, Science of Awesome, takes place Saturday, April 1 at Montgomery College’s Cultural Arts Center in Silver Spring.
- Blues superstar Gertrude “Ma” Pridgett Rainey is the focus of Saturday’s family jazz session at Strathmore. Tickets remain on sale at this time.
- The BlackRock Center for the Arts presents Water on Mars, a juggling troupe, Saturday, April 1 at 3 p.m. A beginners juggling workshop is available for all ages and levels of experience at 4:30 p.m. Water on Mars will present a second show Sunday, April 2 at 4 p.m., followed by an advanced juggling workshop at 5 p.m.
- Coming up:
Music & Dance:
- Cellist Maya Beiser performs at AMP Thursday, March 30.
- Celtic fusion band, Ocean, performs their new album, Waves, at AMP Friday, March 31.
- The Young Artist Award concert takes place at Gaithersburg Arts Barn Friday, March 31 and features young musicians ages 12 to 18.
- Strathmore’s year-long celebration of the blues continues with Erin Harpe & The Delta Swingers performing at the Mansion Friday, March 31.
- Gaithersburg’s Arts on the Green concludes this season’s classical music series with Intimacy and Brilliance performed by the Chiarina Chamber Players on Saturday, April 1, at 8 p.m. at the Arts Barn.
- Smooth Jazz saxophonist Marion Meadows performs at Bethesda Blues & Jazz Club Saturday, April 1 at 8 p.m.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra led by Marin Alsop performs Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade Friday, March 31 at Strathmore. This performance is less structured than Sunday’s performance that features violinist Jennifer Koh.
- Award-winning pianist Eric Lu performs Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 2 with National Philharmonic at Strathmore Saturday, April 1 at 8 p.m.
- Alon Goldstein & Fine Arts Quartet appear at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington Sunday, April 2 at 7:30 p.m.
- Help select Germantown’s Best Magician at BlackRock Center for the Arts Saturday, April 1. Magicians Brian Curry and Mark Phillips invite audience participation during the show and vote for their favorite magician.
- The Flying Karamazov Brothers perform at Montgomery College’s Cultural Arts Center Saturday, April 1 at 7:30 p.m.
Check the MyMCMedia calendar for more events this weekend.
More things to do: see the latest Culture Spot MC video calendar: