Weekend Planner (Photos & Video)
The Gaithersburg Library will re-open Saturday, Jan. 4 at 9:30 a.m. with a ribbon cutting at 10 a.m. Special programs presented by the Friends of the Library will be held throughout the day, including a jazz performance, a magic show and more. Newbery Award-winning author Phyllis Reynolds Naylor will read from her new book “Now I’ll Tell You Everything” and sign books. Copies of several of her many works will be available for sale. Come explore and celebrate the newly renovated Gaithersburg Library.
The Garden of Lights holiday display at Brookside Gardens is open through Sunday. Last chance to stroll the gardens and see the miniature train display in the conservatory.
This is the final weekend for the Glen Echo Holiday Art Show and Sale at the Popcorn Gallery & Stone Tower Gallery. A 15 percent discount on all purchases is available.
Friday, January 3
- Attend a lecture on “Spirituality and Health” by Dr. Christina Puchalski at Ingleside at King Farm in Rockville at 2 p.m.
- Olney Theatre’s production of The King and I at 7 p.m.
- Enjoy an evening of Contra dancing at Glen Echo’s Spanish Ballroom with the Friday Night Dancers from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. Beginners always welcome.
Saturday, January 4
- Join in the fun at the grand reopening of the Gaithersburg Library from 9:30 a.m.
- The final weekend of the Glen Echo Holiday Art Show & Sale is here. Open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Imagination Stage’s production of Lyle the Crocodile continues at 11 a.m., 2:30 and 4 p.m. in Bethesda
- Free self defense class for women at the MMA and Sport in Damascus at 1 p.m.
- Olney Theatre’s production of The King and I at 2 and 8 p.m.
- The National Philharmonic performs at Strathmore Music Center at 8 p.m. and again on Sunday at 3 p.m.
- Local “Back Alley” band appears at Fillmore Silver Spring as part of their Eclipse A Journey Tribute Tour at 8 p.m.
Sunday, January 5
- This is the final day for the Glen Echo Holiday Art Show & Sale; open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Young children 3 to 4-years-old can explore art at “Artful Sundays at the Arts Barn” at 11 a.m.
- Imagination Stage’s production of Lyle the Crocodile continues at 1:30 and 4 p.m. in Bethesda
- Meet The Pate Painters at the artists reception at Glenview Mansion from 1:30 to 3:30 in Rockville. The new exhibit is open Jan. 5 through Jan. 27.
- Olney Theatre’s production of The King and I at 2 p.m.
- The National Philharmonic performs at Strathmore Music Center at 3 p.m.
For more things to do: see our Do & Go video calendar:
To keep up with all that is happening around Montgomery County sign up for the daily update from MyMCMedia.org.