What’s Open and What’s Not Over the Holiday
In Rockville –
Rockville City Hall will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 27, and Friday, Nov. 28 in observance of Thanksgiving, and other facilities will be closed or will operate on limited schedules.
All City facilities will be closed Thanksgiving Day. Other hours are as follows:
- City Hall, Rockville Senior Center, Glenview Mansion and the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre box office: Closed on Friday, Nov. 28.
- Rockville Swim and Fitness Center: On Nov. 28, the South Pool will be closed and the North Pool and Fitness Center will be open 6 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Croydon Creek Nature Center: Open 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Nov. 28.
- Lincoln Park, Thomas Farm and Twinbrook community centers: Open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Nov. 28.
Recycling and refuse will not be collected Thanksgiving Day. Collections usually scheduled for Thursday will occur on Friday of Thanksgiving week.
In Gaithersburg –
Gaithersburg City Hall will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 27 and Friday, Nov. 28 in observance of Thanksgiving, and other facilities will be closed or will operate on limited schedules.
- Gaithersburg Police Department Administrative Offices will be closed. Police Patrol will remain on duty. If you have an emergency please call 911. If it is not an emergency, please dial 301.279.8000 for dispatch.
- Scheduled recycling will be collected on Saturday, Nov. 29
- Activity Center at Bohrer Park will open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 26
- Activity Center at Bohrer Park will open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 28
- Aquatic Center will open 5:15 to 9 p.m. Fr4iday, Nov. 28
- Arts Barn will open for its scheduled performance Friday, Nov. 28
- Gaithersburg Police Department Administrative Offices will maintain normal business hours Friday, Nov. 28
County Parks Facilities –
All Montgomery Parks’ facilities and programs will be closed on Thanksgiving, November 27, 2014, including Brookside Gardens Visitors Center and Conservatory, ice skating rinks, nature centers, the park permits office, tennis centers, Regional and Recreational athletic fields and the South Germantown Driving Range.
Below are additional details on operating hours at various facilities including information on park programs and classes taking place over the holiday weekend.
The Garden Railway Exhibit in the South Conservatory opens for the season on Friday, November 28 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. The free exhibit features trains and trollies winding around detailed miniatures of Brookside Gardens, Wheaton Ice Arena, Glen Echo Park and more. Parents and kids ages 6 and under can also enjoy the free Saturday storytime on November 29 from 10 – 10:30 a.m.
Montgomery Parks Nature Centers:
- Black Hill Nature Programs: Closed Wednesday, November 26 – Friday, November 28.
- Brookside Nature Center: Closed Friday, November 28, however trails surrounding the nature center are open. The nature center will be open Saturday, November 29 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday, November 30 from 1 – 5 p.m.
- Locust Grove Nature Center: Closed Friday, November 28. The center is open for visitors on Saturday, November 29 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday, November 30 from 1 – 5 p.m.
- Meadowside Nature Center: Closed Friday, November 28, however trails surrounding the nature center are open. The center is open Saturday, November 29 and will host its regular Vulture Enrichment and Raptor Lunchtime Talk programs from 11 – 11:20 a.m. and 12 – 12:30 p.m. (respectively).
Ice Skating Rinks:
- Wheaton Ice Arena has cancelled group lessons over the holiday weekend from November 28 – November 30. In addition to the regularly scheduled public skating sessions a Cheapskate session has been added on Wednesday, November 26 from 8:15 – 9:45 p.m. Skaters receive admission and skater rentals for $6.50. An additional public session is scheduled for Saturday, November 29 from 7:45 – 9:45 p.m. A special Black Friday sale and Holiday weekend sale will be taking place at the Pro Shop from November 28 – November 30. Holiday rates will be in effect for all public skating session during the weekend.
Driving Range at South Germantown Recreational Park
- The South Germantown Driving Range will be open Friday, November 28 from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, November 29 and 30 from 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
All other parks and facilities are operating on standard schedules listed on www.MontgomeryParks.org.
- Ride On will operate a Sunday schedule on Thanksgiving Day. Find details on the Department of Transportation website.
- On Wednesday, Nov. 26, Ride On’s Meet the MARC Route 94 bus will connect with traqin #871. The 871 typically operates on Friday only.