White Oak Laundromat Fire Causes $300,000 in Damage (PHOTOS)

PHOTO | MCFRS

PHOTO | MCFRS

A fire at the White Oak Laundromat on New Hampshire Avenue caused an estimated $300,000 in damage Friday evening, according to a Montgomery County fire official.

Fire and Rescue Services Spokesperson Pete Piringer said the fire was first reported by employees who smelled smoke and called 9-1-1.

When firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke was coming from the roof of the building.

laundrymat2

PHOTO | MCFRS

At one point, Piringer said 75 firefighters were on the scene, nearby shops were evacuated and area streets and adjacent parking lots were closed for the fire department’s response.

Fortunately, no injuries were reported.

Piringer said the cause of the fire was lint in the ducts that overheated and caught fire.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Sonya Burke

About Sonya Burke

Sonya Burke is the Multimedia Manager at Montgomery Community Media (MCM). You can email story ideas at sburke@mymcmedia.org or reach her on Twitter @SonyaNBurke.

Comments

| No comments yet.



Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter