Who Will be the Teacher of the Year?
Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) teachers, staff and community members will be honored at the 11th annual Champions for Children Awards Celebration on Thursday, April 25. The 2013-2014 MCPS Teacher of the Year will also be announced during the celebration, which will be held at MedImmune headquarters in Gaithersburg from 5 p.m.-8 p.m.
The event is sponsored by the Montgomery County Business Roundtable for Education (MCBRE) and will feature remarks from local leaders in education, politics, and business.
The honorees are:
· Marian Greenblatt Fund Winner/MCPS Teacher of the Year Finalist: Dawn Charles, English teacher, Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
· Marian Greenblatt Fund Winner/MCPS Teacher of the Year Finalist: Steve Katz, math teacher, Westland Middle School
· Marian Greenblatt Fund Winner/MCPS Teacher of the Year Finalist: Cristina Ulrich, kindergarten teacher, Brookhaven Elementary School
· Rising Star Teacher of the Year: Adam Stephens, music teacher, Montgomery Blair High School
· Dr. Edward Shirley Award for Excellence in Education Administration and Supervision: Eugenia Dawson, principal, Earle B. Wood Middle School
· Supporting Services Employee of the Year: Bill Cook, operations supervisor, Department of Materials Management
· Business Champion for Children: Hess Construction + Engineering Services
· Volunteer Champion for Children: Susan Burkinshaw, Montgomery County Council of PTAs
In addition, The Washington Post Distinguished Educational Leadership Award and Agnes Meyer Outstanding Teacher Award will also be honored at the April 25 celebration. This year, the Distinguished Educational Leadership Award goes to Carol Goddard, principal at Gaithersburg Middle School. The Agnes Meyer winner is Jacqueline Fludd, social studies resource teacher at Paint Branch High School.
For more information on the event, please visit the MCBRE website.