Winter Coat Drive
Montgomery County Recreation is collecting coats to support the Montgomery County Government/City of Gaithersburg Homeless Resource Day scheduled for November 15, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Activity Center at Bohrer Park in Gaithersburg. Interfaith Works, which provides shelter, clothing and food to community members in need, is coordinating the coat drive. The goal is to collect more than 500 gently used women’s and men’s winter coats of all sizes. Although there is a lesser need for children’s coats, they will also be accepted. The coats will be distributed free to needy residents.
“Our Recreation facilities are often the hub of community activities, and I am very pleased the Recreation Department has the opportunity to assist with this important outreach effort,” said Recreation Director Gabriel Albornoz. “I encourage everyone to look in their closet to see if they have unused coats that could be donated to ensure that all of our neighbors in need have warm winter coats.”
Gently used winter coats can be dropped off at the following facilities through November 8:
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver and Sargent Shriver Aquatic Center, 5900 Executive Blvd., N. Bethesda
- Holiday Park Senior Center, 3950 Ferrara Dr., Wheaton
- Jane Lawton Community Recreation Center, 4301 Willow La., Chevy Chase
- Long Branch Community Recreation Center/Senior Center, 8700 Piney Branch Rd., Silver Spring
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Swim Center, 1201 Jackson Rd., Silver Spring
- Olney Indoor Swim Center, 16605 Georgia Ave., Olney
- Potomac Community Recreation Center, 11315 Falls Rd., Potomac
- Upper County Community Recreation Center, 8201 Emory Grove Rd., Gaithersburg
- Wisconsin Place Community Recreation Center, 5311 Friendship Blvd., Chevy Chase
For more information about the Interfaith Works Coat Drive, call Christine Hong, 240-498-7727.
For information about the Recreation Department donation sites, call Judy Stiles at 240-777-6875.
For information about the second annual Homeless Resource Day, visit www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HRD.