UPDATED: Building Evacuated in Silver Spring (PHOTOS)

UPDATED, July 8, 2:25 p.m.-  Montgomery Couty fire official said electricity was restored at 2:45 a.m. on July 8 and emergency generator continues to operate in the 15-story building in Silver Spring.

There is still no air conditioning or hot water. Fire alarms are back on, a fire official said.

The building had two electrical fires in a 72-hour period.


Montgomery County firefighters evacuated residents from a building in Silver Spring on July 7 after an electrical fire started in the basement and spread through the building.

Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Pete Piringer said the building also had an electrical fire on July 5.

“Sunday night we had almost the same thing. … today it was the [electrical] panel next to the one that burnt before,” Piringer said.

The fire caused a power outage in the 15-story building located at 1111 University Boulevard. More than 1,000 residents are affected, according to Piringer.

As of 11 p.m., power was still out and Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Office of Code Compliance officials were on the scene to make sure everything will work properly once power is back on, Piringer said.

People trapped in elevators were taken out. The building has 275 condos.

“We are now basically letting people shelter in place,” he said.

The American Red Cross was at the scene to assist residents. Due to power outage Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services along with Red Cross opened a shelter at Blair Hight School for residents affected by this incident.

Photos from the scene:



Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Aline Barros

About Aline Barros

Aline Barros is a multimedia reporter and community engagement specialist with Montgomery Community Media. She can be reached at Abarros@mymcmedia.org and on Twitter at @AlineBarros2.


4 Responses to “UPDATED: Building Evacuated in Silver Spring (PHOTOS)”

  1. Avatar
    On July 7, 2015 at 2:35 pm responded with... #

    Thanks for quick reporting. They shut power of at the same type building next door where I am as well (1121 University). Firemen going floor to floor looking for something. If fire was in 1111, don’t know what they are looking for here.

  2. Avatar
    On July 7, 2015 at 9:16 pm responded with... #

    Aside from a fire code violation the building also has rodent infestation for over 3 years now, the elevator inspection sticker says “valid until…2014”, management is inattentive to any complaints or requests, it’s always the tenants’ fault. Most owners don’t live in the building most units are rented. The county should create an escrow account for rent payment and defend the renters. Cathy the manager isn’t willing to advocate for renters and lies to them about the situation when any violation is reported.

  3. Avatar
    On July 7, 2015 at 10:15 pm responded with... #

    Will you help us? the management doesn’t address any of our concerns. They ignore all issues including rodent infestation, fire code violations, and elevator inspection certificate that already expired in 2014 (valid until 2014)

  4. Avatar
    On July 7, 2015 at 10:43 pm responded with... #

    So is the power, water and AC back on yet? We were told by Indie at the front desk that we were going to have to evacuate due to no water.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter